Women

Options
I was just wondering, do you find that you don't seem to lose weight while on your period?

I've been doing really well this week and had expected to have lost something but I've stayed the same weight for a bit & I'm wondering if it's because I'm a bit bloated from my period.

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yes periods cause water retention. Many even gain. It's temporary.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    If you stay on track, you'll probably lose the weight as soon as your period's over. You're probably just retaining right now.
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Definitely could be! That's what my body does. Water retention and all that wonderful stuff. Also... have you started working out with weights or up'd your workout routine recently?
  • kbryanmc
    kbryanmc Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Our little visitors mess everything up! You retain lots of water during this time. I only lost .5lb last week because of it even though I was eating right and exercising. This week, I dropped 3lbs. It all evens out in the end! Don't worry about it! Just part of being a woman!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You can actually start to retain water upto 2 weeks before it actually arrives. Bleugh.
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I also have water retention before and during my period. Usually I go up a couple pounds as well. It comes off though about 3 days into my period. Good luck!
  • silver_lining87
    Options
    Definitely could be! That's what my body does. Water retention and all that wonderful stuff. Also... have you started working out with weights or up'd your workout routine recently?

No, I've just mainly been doing cardio, like working out on the cross trainer, bike and rower.
  • Joaninha777
    Options
    Yes it's horrible and all i want to do is EAT chocolate lol
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can actually start to retain water upto 2 weeks before it actually arrives. Bleugh.

AGREED!
  • silver_lining87
    Options
    I'm glad then that it does seem that it'll be my period and not that I've already hit a brick wall!
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i was really annoyed with myself 2 weeks ago when it seemed i had put on 6lb but 1 week after i had , had my period i found it had gone i really bloat when im due i swear i retain half a lakes worth of water
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    Options
    yes, I tend to gain around 5lb for a week, which is nice. the tough part is resisting the carb cravings so I dont turn water retention into bone fide lbs. grrr.
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    I don't gain but for example, I went all last week seeing absolutely no change in the scale. TOM went away Monday and today I had lost just over 1 lb. No big changes in calorie intake but my body just didn't want to shed that pound until after.
  • musicoflife08
    Options
    Well...that explains a lot!!! I didn't even think of my period causing weight gain/no loss. Good question!
  • silver_lining87
    Options
    I'm just glad that I don't really crave chocolate during my period.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options

Period schmeriod. I crave chocolate always. :laugh:
  • silver_lining87
    Options

I'm not a big chocolate eater really :laugh:
  • meggonkgonk
    Options

That's ok- I eat enough for the both of us!
  • silver_lining87
    Options

That's ok- I eat enough for the both of us!

:laugh: