Can I get the low down on Greek yogurt?

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Look at the sugar in it!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    so what is the difference between greek yogurt and refular yougurt? is it just the protein content?

it's a lot thicker than regular yogurt. i love it. some people don't. it's totally a personal preference. remember to read the labels though because you can find it with fat content ranging between 0 grams all the way up to 15 grams of fat per serving.

I like Liberte. i get it from Costco. it has 20 grams of protein and 0.4 grams of fat per serving
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    its super concentrated yogurt, it has twice the protien and is super thick and amazing, its well worth the extra 50 calories for me, it's decadent and amazing, its like cheese cake

Which kind do you like? I only tried it once and it was NASTY making me afraid to try another one. Seriously...this one was horrid!

I love the Fage brand. Chobani's ok.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    its super concentrated yogurt, it has twice the protien and is super thick and amazing, its well worth the extra 50 calories for me, it's decadent and amazing, its like cheese cake

Which kind do you like? I only tried it once and it was NASTY making me afraid to try another one. Seriously...this one was horrid!

I like the chobani with fruit on the bottom, strawberry the most, dont stir it.. just lift the fruit up.. it's soooo good
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Look at the sugar in it!

5 grams of sugar per serving. nothing wrong with that
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    I love it. I usually get the plain and use 3-6 oz with a few tsp of fat free, sugar free instant pudding mix. I love the white chocolate and cheesecake kinds. It tastes so yummy and is awesome when you dip and apple in it.
    I only get the higher calorie, fruit on the bottom, ones for when I don't feel too hungry but need to make sure I get my calories. They are tasty and don't make me feel bloated. I LOVE the Chobani pineapple and blueberry. I am actually having the pineapple one with my lunch today and I can't wait to eat it!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    CHobani is AMAZING best ever. I have tried other flavors but they were more bitter than Chobani I LOVE LOVE LOVE it has really up my protein intake, I'm going to try and mix some ranch poweder dressing in a plain one and see how that goes because it absorbs flavors so well!!!!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Here in Ontario we have Liberté brand Greek yogurt. Plain, 0% fat and 20 g protein.
    110 calories for 175 g.
    I add my own berries and it normally comes in at 160 - 180 calories total.
    It's a huge serving and very satisfying.

This is one of my mini meals that I have in the day.

I look at the overall calories for the day not just in a particular food or meal.
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Greek yogurt is simply regular yogurt with most of the liquid (whey) strained away. It is generally a better option than regular because it has almost double the protein of regular yogurt which as other have already stated will keep you fuller longer.
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    so what is the difference between greek yogurt and refular yougurt? is it just the protein content?

The main difference is that greek yogurt is strained to remove much of the liquid content, leaving a much higher concentration of the solids (protein) behind.
    I can't stand regular yogurt now that I've tried a few quality brands of Greek yogurt.
    I love both Chobani and Fage 0% in every flavor I've ever tried. Fage 0% Strawberry Goji is my current favorite, but anything from Chobani or Fage gets a thumbs-up in my book.
    Greek Gods brand plain is fantastic as an ingredient or if you add your own sweeteners/fruits, and sometimes shows up on deep discount.
    Dannon Greek is a different story - can't stand it, but can't really explain why, something about the flavor was just "off".

Dang, now I'm hungry for yogurt.

(edit: sorry jwallace450 we were apparently typing our responses in at the same time!)
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member

I was thinking of buying the greek yogurt and mini graham cracker crust pies and making like a mini cheesecake out of it. I wouldn't eat it everyday but just for a treat everynow and then! :)
  • sbmargo
    sbmargo Posts: 9
    You can make it yourself w a paper coffee filter. Drain it overnight and whats left has more protein. Google it.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    I love my plan Chobani, I'm actually indulging in some as I type this! And the reason is that I tried something new today! I usually just add sliced plain strawberries to it, but I ran out a few days ago.

Today, I squeezed in some fresh lemon juice and threw in some raspberries. OMG, soooooo good! It's like a yogurt revelation! And I'm sure my blueberries would be great in it, too. I don't know why, but I loooove lemon, and I can't believe it just now hit me to try this. Amazing!

And for 140 calories and 23 grams of protein, who would want to pass on it?

P.S. I buy the large, 32 oz containers, because it makes more financial sense to me, and it says there are 4 servings in it. I usually get at least 6 to 8 servings, so although it says 140 calories/serving, I usually make it less by eating about half a serving at a time, and it's still really filling.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    It's great to throw in the blender with some whey, skim milk, and whatever else. Good for a mrs.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member

I was thinking of buying the greek yogurt and mini graham cracker crust pies and making like a mini cheesecake out of it. I wouldn't eat it everyday but just for a treat everynow and then! :)

I make mini cheesecakes with plain greek yogurt, cheesecake instant pudding mix (about 2-3 tsp for 3-6 oz, depending on your taste preference) and graham crackers. I just break them apart individually and add the yogurt/pudding mix on top and put a sliced strawberry on top of that. So yummy!
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    I love Greek yogurt, I use the plain chobani and I add 1/2c frozen blueberries to it, because the blueberries are frozen it turns it into an ice cream kinda. I also love it with strawberries or pineapple( my fav) I don't think it has to many calories. I eat it everyday with breakfast I have

4oz Greek yogurt, 1/2 c frozen blueberries, 2 eggs, and coffee fills me up until lunch and longer if need be and good source of protein.
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    You can make it yourself w a paper coffee filter. Drain it overnight and whats left has more protein. Google it.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. You can strain it and get the consistency of Greek yogurt to use in recipes, but there was a finite amount of protein in the container and straining it won't put more in.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Look at the sugar in it!

5 grams of sugar per serving. nothing wrong with that

20grams is more like it - Chobain -Not Plain
  • sharper43
    sharper43 Posts: 109
    I've only tried it once and was completely grossed out. It was bitter and thick. NASTY!
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. You can strain it and get the consistency of Greek yogurt to use in recipes, but there was a finite amount of protein in the container and straining it won't put more in.

well his logic is a lil flawed but it will have more protein per serving.
This discussion has been closed.