Heart Rate Question

Jackie0127
Jackie0127 Posts: 71 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! My name is Jackie. I am new here to MFP.

I've have started to work out. I would like to do cardio 5 times a week, with streigth training 5 times a week, working diferent areas of my body every day. I started working out on Monday, and the Elleptical asked me to slow down to bring my heart rate down, but I was already going slow (3mph). I couldn't bring my heart rate down from 180-175 so eventually the elleptical changed itself to manual. I worked out for a total of 35 min. I am 5'4 CW 163lbs. GW1 is 140 GW2 is 120.

So, what am I doing wrong? Can I do cardio 5 times a week? Does anyone have a workout plan they would like to share?

Thank You all so much! :-)

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Bad news, you really should slow down if your heart rate gets too high. I'd do some research to find your target and max heart rate (though they'll be averages unless you can afford testing).

Good news, as you exercise more and get fit, you'll have to work harder to get your heart rate up. It's a great feeling the first time you realize your previous exercise needs to be beefed up. :D

edit to add personal example:

When I first started walking, 2.5 miles per hour put my HR at 135-140... 1 month later, I have to go 4 mi/hr to get the same heart rate (unless I'm going uphill).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    You didn't do anything wrong, what you did was choose a setting on the elliptical that needs your HR in a certain range, try choosing manual or the cardio setting instead of fat burning zone. Fat burning zone is kind of the myth. The higher your HR the more calories you burn the more weight you lose.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Is it possible that the machine isn't right? I've had a few machines give extremely wrong, way wonky HR. When you're working out, check your pulse manually and see if it's really that high!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Find your target zone and stay within them. You may have had something not right plus I don't know if you really can count those HRM's as right.

I do exactly what you're talking about. I do cardio (30-60 min) at least 3 x a week and weight lift the same. I work a different part every time.

Good luck on your journey and you'll iron out the kinks and be on a path soon.
  • I had a similar experience with my first Polar heart rate monitor; it liked to beep at me a lot. There are a number of formulas to determine your target heart rates. The best typically include using your resting heart rate. A simplier one I use is:

Max heart rate = 220 minus your age (42 years old = 178)
    Optimum fat burn rate = 65-75% of that (42 years old = 115.7 to 133.5)
    Optimum aerobic rate = 75-85% of that (42 years old = 133.5 to 151.3)
    Optimum anaerobic rate = greater than 85%

It depends on your goals. I agree with "erickirb's" logic in that the more calories you burn the more weight you lose. These are just examples of optimum zones. I found that over time I could tell my heart rate simply by my breathing. As "baisleac" elludes, as you get in better shape, you will have to work harder to get your heart rate up there.
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    I train in the gym 3 times a week. 30 mins on elliptical trainer I aim for around 5km heart rate between 140-155, occasionaly I have worked very hard and hit 160bpm. Then I do 2km on the rower in intervals of 250m. Finish off on the treamill 30 mins at 6-7km ph. Also do some weight work and crunches etc. Twice a week I do aqua aerobics. my starting weight was 257lbs i am now 177 still want to lose another 37lbs. I was also doing a spinning class which i cut out i found it just a bit too much and now have 2 exercise free days a week.
  • Jackie0127
    :happy: Thank you all for the great comments and suggestions! I did the elliptical yesterday and maintained a heart rate of apx. 164. Not as bad as monday. I did that for 40 min. I am going back today (as I find it to make me feel fantastic when Im done). Do any of you know what muscle group I can work out every day? Like my abs, or my back or my legs. I found myself without much to do after cardio yesterday, and I was hesitant to do my abs and obliques again. But I did them, and today they are sore.

Thank You! :happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Do any of you know what muscle group I can work out every day? Like my abs, or my back or my legs. I found myself without much to do after cardio yesterday, and I was hesitant to do my abs and obliques again. But I did them, and today they are sore.

Thank You! :happy:

Every muscle group required a break to recover. Even abs shouldn't be worked everyday.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Do any of you know what muscle group I can work out every day? Like my abs, or my back or my legs. I found myself without much to do after cardio yesterday, and I was hesitant to do my abs and obliques again. But I did them, and today they are sore.

If you're doing weight training every day, you need to do different body parts each day, and give each one at least 48 hours of recovery time before hitting them again. They need time to recover and repair.

So, for example, if you were to do legs today, the soonest you could hit them again would be Sunday. Be sure to work every major muscle group- back, chest, arms, shoulders, abs and legs. You could devote a separate day to each of them or work 2 of them 3 times a week.
  • Jackie0127
    That's what I thought and that what I afraid of. I need to find a good workout for each muscle group that make me feel for those days they rest like I have worked them out. I haven't figured that out yet. Last monday I worked out my legs, but didn't feel any achiness at all the day after. I worked out my abs too that day, took Tuesday as a rest day (since it's my longest day) and went back at the routine yesterday.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Have you tried "New rules for weight lifting for women", or some combo of those words? It explains the whole idea of lifting, proper form instruction, and also gives a few routines to follow. I know a lot of people that follow it. You can probably get it from your local library to see if this is something that you want to spend money on. I was ready to buy the book when my gym started an online subscription for a personalized, individual strength program. It gives me a different workout each time I go to the gym. It works the whole body with an emphasis on one area.

Edit to add:
    Someone sent me this article yesterday. I have only skimmed it, but you may be interested in it.

http://www.trimorefitness.com/02/28/2011/the-myth-of-maximum-heart-rate-220-age/
  • Jackie0127
    I haven't, I will stop by my local library and look it up. The link is very interesting though! Thanks for sharing! :) I might do the 30day shred from Jillian Michaels. Since I have 62 days left to look a little more in shape. :P
This discussion has been closed.