Weight Loss Surgery

Options
I know this forum is mainly for eating right and working out which are still things you have to do before and after getting a surgery. I was wondering if anyone here has gotten a lapband, vertical sleeve gastrectomy, or a gastric bypass... and what the thoughts are?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I guess my Question is why are you even thinking of those Very Dangerious surgeries?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out obesityhelp.com? They have all types of forums for people who have had weight loss surgery. You do have to eat right after wt. loss surgery but the amt you lose and stuff like that is very different than people who lose wt. via reduced calories and exercise. I could eat the same meal plan as someone say with RNY surgery and they may lose 20 lbs. in a month and Me only 8 lbs. I would start to question Myself and wonder where I have gone wrong, when in reality My wt. loss is more normal. So it is not like comparing apples to apples. So when I hear of someone losing 100, 150...lbs in a year, I wonder if they had wt loss surgery...cause I have lost 75 lbs. in a year without it. Either way is OK, but I'd like to compare apples to apples.
  • ocsbabydoll
    Options
    Well i have been big my whole life and tried to lose weight a bunch of ways - and nothing seems to work for me. When i got my insurance and they cover bariatric surgery, it felt like i got the golden ticket. I know the risks and seen people's results. I don't want to live my life in a fat suit any more - i am here because my sister found this site and wanted me to check it out - surgery or no surgery there are good tools.

Agreed its not comparing apples to apples one is more invasive and risky.. but in my opinion i think the surgery is the best option for me because i cant live like this anymore - In my wardrobe i have about 3 pairs of pants to work in and when you get dressed for a special occasion and all you can say to yourself upon completion is ... Well i cant look any better... what's the use.... you have to do something drastic to save yourself

I am not urging anyone or trying to convince anyone to get the surgery if you can lose weight at the speed you want another way more power to you. :wink:
  • Megume
    Megume Posts: 74
    Options
    Hey There!! I am about to go through Vertical Sleeve in June. I actually started a blog, to document my experience, before and after the procedure.

It's definitely something you need to do your research on and be dedicated to. It is NOT the easy way out by any means. It is a tool to help you become the person you were ment to be.

If you need any support at all, hit me up :) I'll be there for ya. It's a tough road to go down, but if you feel it's right, you can do it!

Here's my blog if u wanna follow me, i just started it yesterday so there will be a lot more to come.

http://downsizingmegu.tumblr.com/
  • edgehollow2
    Options
    My hubby had a lapband 2 yrs ago and initially lost a good bit of weight. However, he never changed his eating habits or started exercising. So the weightloss was short lived and he has gained some back. The copays for band fills is more than they estimated and we just can't afford $125 every couple of weeks. Keep in mind that the surgery is just another tool to HELP with weightloss. It is not a cure all or a miracle solution to your weight issues. You still have to change your nutrition and fitness lifestyle or the benefits from the surgery will be a short term success. Also as a nurse I have seen way too many people suffer severe sometimes fatal side effects years after the gastric bypass surgery. Please do your research and make your own decisions, but remember that you still have to make good food choices and exercise a way of life!
  • ocsbabydoll
    Options
    I know its not a miracle cure - you still have to work you booty off no pun intended. But if it can help me like the 23 year old i am and not like 60 year old my joints feel then i say bring it. I have done all the research watch countless youtube testimonies.. and feel prepared

I am just having to again think about which i want the sleeve or the bypass and i just dont know now
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I know its not a miracle cure - you still have to work you booty off no pun intended. But if it can help me like the 23 year old i am and not like 60 year old my joints feel then i say bring it. I have done all the research watch countless youtube testimonies.. and feel prepared

I am just having to again think about which i want the sleeve or the bypass and i just dont know now

I come from a huge family of obese folks.....I have seen many success stories, post surgery.....I have a relative or 2 I wish would get it... I have another relative who probably shouldn't have gotten it ...I suppose clinically now she is bulimic... She got the surgery with little or no counseling after the Dr had a cancellation from someone else.... She still eats like she always did.... only now she throws up during & after every meal and ends up in the hospital due to the stress barfing has on her body...

After losing more than one close relative to obesity related illnesses ( not even the normal stuff like diabetes), I cant say that I am against the surgery... Some folks are going to die without it so it is sort of a final shot at life....

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!!
  • Zinzie182
    Options
    I had a good friend in a similar situation to yours- she was in her twenties, generally in good health. She choose to have RNY for the same reasons you list, and frankly I could never understand it. She had no debilitating physical ailments to keep her from following an exersize program, and the discipline that must be applied post-op (she had to be so, so careful about what she consumed and when) could just as easily be applied to everyday diet without having the surgery, with similar results. You'd be shocked at how much weight you can lose, and quickly, when you begin an exersize and diet program. About 6 years ago, I lost 90 pounds in 7 months through careful diet and exersize. She lost 102 pounds in 10 months after RNY. And I don't have the lifelong complications and issues she's facing.

Just my perspective, take it for what it's worth. Best of luck whatever you choose!
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had the Verticle Sleeve 2 months ago. It is NOT the easy way out!!!!!! I also have been obese all my life and I finally said enough. It was hard at first b/c I had some issues with nausea and vomiting but now that Im furthur out can say I love my sleeve!! Ive lost 53 lbs so far and would do it over in a heartbeat. Its nice to not always be so hungry. If you have any questions feel free to ask!!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I had Roux en Y done last summer. It was the BEST decision I've ever made. When you're up and down the scale and yet still never make it to a BMI that even puts you in the "obese" (as opposed to "morbidly obese" where I sat)...you really have to wonder how "dangerous" these surgeries are. Compared to what? :-) A life of heart disease, diabetes and eventually no life at all?

My high weight pic (the night before giving birth to my youngest) is in my profile.
  • donicagalek
    Options
    I have another relative who probably shouldn't have gotten it ...I suppose clinically now she is bulimic... She got the surgery with little or no counseling after the Dr had a cancellation from someone else.... She still eats like she always did.... only now she throws up during & after every meal and ends up in the hospital due to the stress barfing has on her body...

From what I've seen this is an entirely valid point. If you're getting the surgery it's because you overeat. Overeating is an eating disorder. You could just as easily become bulimic, anorexic, an alcoholic...anything that involves over-consumption after the surgery. Most insurance companies require a psych eval, but they're not very therapeutic. If you get the surgery you really have to keep yourself in check and make sure to get help if you wind up substituting.

If you want to get personal on the subject, I started enjoying my two glasses of dry red every night and smoking GOBS of cigarettes (again). I quit drinking completely a month ago and stopped smoking two weeks ago (e cigarettes ROCK). If I couldn't do it on my own I would have gotten help for both without shame.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have not read everyone's responses but want to give you my 2 cents.

You will get nay-sayers...you will get pro's, you will hear the cons. YOU have to make the decision that is right for you. What works for one person WILL NOT work for the next. Get all the information you can (which is what you are doing now ;-) ) and then make YOUR decision.

I had gastric bypass 4 years ago. LOst over 200 pounds (pics on my profile here). I found this website when I was searching for an android app to help me lose the 20 pounds I put on while pregnant. The accountability here is awsome and I never have reason not to keep track of what I am putting in my body.

The surgery was the best and EASIEST thing I have ever done. You may hear some one tell you "you are taking the easy way out"
    let them put there life at risk, undergo major surgery, recovery, never be able to eat "normal" again, take vitamins for life and tell me it isEASY. Yes it was easy for ME. REcovery even though it hurt a bit...not so bad. Learning to eat was HARD. You are FORCED to eat small portions even when you think you are starving...that one extra bite might later have you in the bathroom sick becaue it was just too much.

I equate "the easy way out" to this....would you use a dishwashre or wash dishes by hand, would you mow your lawn with a gas mower or push mower, would you use a wash board instead of the washing machine? ALL easy ways out thanks to technology and progression if you ask me.

Weightloss surgery is a TOOL. If you choose to do it....USE the TOOL as it is intended and you will be successful. Even after surgery WE are all human...what got us obese to begin with may still be lingering. It is not a CURE ALL. Somtimes we make mistakes in our choices....you learn from it and move on.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh and yes...check out www.obesityhelp.com

There is a plethera of information on ALL the weightloss surgeries. tools, blogs, forums....that venue gives you all the information to compare the surgeries you are considering.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    I guess my Question is why are you even thinking of those Very Dangerious surgeries?

Hmmmm.......Tell me now....how dangerous is high blood pressure, heart problems, strokes, joint problems, knee surgeries, diabetes, sleep apnea.....the list goes on and on!!! Have you ever been 100 lbs overweight? Yes, one can lose it the old fashioned way, but.... the chances of a person maintaining it for life, hovers around 4 to 5%. Known medical fact. Period. Try on a 100 to 150 lb "fat suit" and walk around for just one day, and you'll see real quick why some of us have gone the surgery route. Yes, we have to eat right. Yes, we have to exercise, but if a person really truly wants to change and has tried everything else, why not surgery? It is very much an individual decision. Thats why I never discuss it unless prompted. I would never suggest ANY surgery to anyone, unless asked. ANY surgery can be dangerous. I lost a lot of weight many times in my life. Did I ever maintain it? No. I guess I was never in that very lucky 5 % group.
    Soooo....as the old saying goes....until you've walked a day in our shoes.....
  • ocsbabydoll
    Options
    Wow all of you have really good input thank you..

So for the RNY people -- what made you chose that option vs the sleeve
    &
    Sleeve people - what made you chose that over the bypass??

*you guys are awesome congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • donicagalek
    Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere and had to drive three hours to get to the closest place that did WLS. They had two options: RNY and lapband. Originally I was thinking of going toward the band, but I didn't want to make the drive every time I needed a band adjustment.

Plus my sister had RNY and was pleased. A couple of weeks ago another sister got it done. There are four of us altogether, so it's only a matter of time before the fourth one gets on board. :-D
  • marci355
    Options
    Wow all of you have really good input thank you..

So for the RNY people -- what made you chose that option vs the sleeve
    &
    Sleeve people - what made you chose that over the bypass??

*you guys are awesome congratulations :flowerforyou:

I chose the RNY, cause of the malabsorbtion involved. I was bypassed 140cm, which a little bit more than the standard of 100cm. Nowadays some docs bypass 150cm. Make sure you ask him how much. A RNY patient has to be very careful to take a LOT of vitamins, FOR LIFE. Very important. But the small intestine that has been bypassed, helps me maintain my weight easier. You do NOT get any small intestine bypassed with the sleeve or a lapband. But you will have to take "some" vitamins, but not a boatload like me. Either surgery is a very good procedure, but it is a personal decision, as to which one fits your lifestyle better. Best of luck in your decision, sweetie!
    ETA: my insurance would only cover RNY or the lapband, and I know I didn't want the lapband.
  • marci355
    Options
    BUMP!!! :wink:
  • ocsbabydoll
    Options
    wow sounds like a family ready to begin their lives .. Congrats

And marci - how many vitamins do you have to take?? how is it working out for you?

This is great help thanks dolls
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Wed 03/23/11 02:55 PM
    QUOTE:

Hmmmm.......Tell me now....how dangerous is high blood pressure, heart problems, strokes, joint problems, knee surgeries, diabetes, sleep apnea.....the list goes on and on!!! Have you ever been 100 lbs overweight? Yes, one can lose it the old fashioned way, but.... the chances of a person maintaining it for life, hovers around 4 to 5%. Known medical fact. Period. Try on a 100 to 150 lb "fat suit" and walk around for just one day, and you'll see real quick why some of us have gone the surgery route. Yes, we have to eat right. Yes, we have to exercise, but if a person really truly wants to change and has tried everything else, why not surgery? It is very much an individual decision. Thats why I never discuss it unless prompted. I would never suggest ANY surgery to anyone, unless asked. ANY surgery can be dangerous. I lost a lot of weight many times in my life. Did I ever maintain it? No. I guess I was never in that very lucky 5 % group.
    Soooo....as the old saying goes....until you've walked a day in our shoes.....

ten years ago I shed 130 lbs and did it on my own,and have kept all but 20lbs off.I think before you choose to do it dig deep in your heart of hearts and figure out why you weigh what you weigh and where in your life do you need to make changes to achive your goals.For me I was very unhappy and ate my way through my 13year marriage.I have to imagine there is a bigger picture here for you.