is my workout a waste of time?

Options
I am trying to fit in10 -15 mins of cardio(spining or treadmill) couple of times through out the day. If i am going to burn fat only after 20 mins of cardio is my 10 minutes workout a waste in terms of weightloss? Does it account for anything?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There are so many different opinions out there on this - but honestly, a little exercise is better than none. If you want to build cardiorespiratory endurance, you'll want to increase your workout time - it's certainly a good idea - but no, even short workout are never a "waste" of time. You're still burning calories and getting your body moving.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    There are so many different opinions out there on this - but honestly, a little exercise is better than none. If you want to build cardiorespiratory endurance, you'll want to increase your workout time - it's certainly a good idea - but no, even short workout are never a "waste" of time. You're still burning calories and getting your body moving.

AGREE!!
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Jiverson1
    Jiverson1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is not a waste of time but you should try to build yourself up to 30 mins minimum a day. I have been doing circuit training for 30-40 mins at a time and it works great. You just move from one exercise to the next without any break in between. you finish much faster and get your heart rate up to burn the fat. I do not really like working out so anything to get the most out of my time I am all for it! Good Luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

Also concur
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm currently enrolled in a fitness class for VERY MUCH beginners. Our instructor encourages us to do 10 minutes 2-3 times a day. She also says that sprinting during a commercial, walking for the next, sprinting through the next one, and walking through the last few is very helpful. Just getting up and moving is beneficial. You'll see a difference in yourself no matter what. So this is a really good place to start!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I think ANY activity you do is better than none!
  • KatyG0409
    KatyG0409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing! You should keep it up. Add another minute every day, I bet that will make it easier for you to keep going. Also, if you don't have a lot of time you need to make time. Stop watching that 30 minute tv show and get up and exercise during it instead. This is what I have done.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    They say 30 mins of movement a day is the LEAST you should be doing. I take "a day"...as you can break that up as much as you need too. A little bit of movement is better than none at all. It's never a waste of time if you're moving. Keep doing it and try making it longer every week?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You start burning fat after only a minute or two. As you workout longer you burn proportionally more fat. But since you start burning some fat right away, it is not a waste of time.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I had to start out like that....10 minutes here and 10 minutes there. I have many health problems and that is all I could tolerate at first. Then I started going 12 minutes, then the next time I would aim for 15. I have built up to 35-45 minutes. Give your body time to adjust to exercise. If you are anything like me, you were sedentary for a long time. Don't expect yourself to just jump up out of the lazyboy one day and be able to make it through a 30 minute workout video. I tried to over do it at first and I ended up with bad shin splints. Listen to your body. When it tells you, "I have had enough for right now"....just stop. I have been steadily losing weight during my workouts, even the really short ones. Any exercise is better than none at all. Keep up the good work! In no time you will be up to 30 or 40 minutes at a time.
  • erin_kercheval
    erin_kercheval Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree that there is definite value in building up your cardio capacity with longer workouts. That being said, I hear so often that intervals are really the way to go for fat loss. Excerpt from an ariticle on Self.com:

Grunt, groan and sweat

Those Neanderthal noises you hear from the guy one treadmill over? They signal intensity, and he's on to something: You burn more fat and tone muscles in less time with gasp-inducing cardio intervals—short, go-all-out stints interspersed with stretches at a slower pace—than with a steady-as-she-goes approach. Researchers at McMaster University noted that cyclists who did 15 minutes of interval training three times a week were as fit as those who biked at a moderate speed for an hour five days a week. Imagine how trim you'd be doing 30 minutes of intervals! See for yourself: Pepper your cardio with 30-second sprints, or sign up at Self.com/goal for access to fun plans. How do you know you're pushing full-throttle? If you can talk, you're not going hard enough; if you're grunting, you're there!
  • dixiechicdana
    Options
    I have read articles that say 2 15 minute cardio sessions burn more than 1 30 minute minute cardio session. shoot for one early and one in the late afternoon or evening.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I agree with the replies here, but want to add one bit of info. The body is resistant to release fat as a fuel source, hence the guideline to exercise a minimum of 30 minutes, preferably more. But, the more fit you are the quicker the body begins to use fat as a fuel. So a fit person begins to use fat as a fuel soon after beginning to exercise while an out of shape person needs to exercise for a longer time. Sounds strange, but the body assumes that you are going to do what it is accustomed to you doing. It takes a while to convince a couch potato body that it really is going to need to call on stored fuel for exercise. So if you are fit you can do a lot with just a few minutes. Covert Bailey explains this well if you care to read up. But science aside, as the others have pointed out, all exercise is good and some is way better than none. There is a lot of research out there now indicating that short interval training can be as effective as the old "long slow distance" that I grew up with.