Eating/or not Before morning workout??

Options
I wake up at 4:45am and start exercising at 5:00am Usually cardio for 40min. I do not have time to eat , and the last time that I ate is usually around 8 hours before that. Is this bad? Should I eat something right before I workout?

Replies

• Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I grab a banana and a water every morning before working out. It seems to stave off the hunger pangs until I get home from the gym.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I do if I want, but just as often I don't. There are pros and cons to each way, so really do what works for you.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel that your going to burn from working out, so eating before is important, even if its some type of fruit or yogurt
  • southern04
    Options
    From what I have read it is good to eat with in an hour of waking. So the banana and water sounds like a really good idea. Light enough on your stomach, yet you are still giving your body something.
  • omgsayalathieo
    Options
    I just read an article that said you should eat something that is easy and quick for your body to digest like a banana. It will help boost your metabolism and wake your body up. Hope its helpful!!
  • Lisa076
    Lisa076 Posts: 78
    Options
    People say I am crazy but I can not eat before I work out, I have my coffee first thing then wait about a half hour before I do my workout & then I eat. I think it varies with each individual...whatever works for you :)
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Wake at 445 to every morning and am shredding and stationary bike riding until 6:15. Then get the boys and myself out the door to go to work. I eat at work at about 8:30 or 9. So far i have been loosing 2-3 lbs a week and it works for me not to eat.
  • seemae
    seemae Posts: 38
    Options
    http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/07/05/08/eating-and-exercise-should-you-eat-after-exercising-before-how-long-and-what.htm

Here's a helpful article that discusses eating before/during/after your workouts. A banana and a glass of water is an excellent pre-workout meal - it's good for hydration and energy. Remember that your body needs water and the right food to function properly just like a car needs gas and oil.

I usually eat some kind of fruit (preferably a banana), or some juice and water before I work out.
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I find eating before a workout (walking, etc) really does me no good. maybe something light would be okay? Eating after supper is very difficult.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of studies on either side- this really is one that is up to how you feel and the kind of workout you do. If it's not super strenuous, then run on what's already in your body and make sure you get a good recovery meal. If you are going to do something intense or drawn out- then maybe get something in you to start. Water is a must though- sleep can be quite dehydrating.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You should something even if it's small. Like a piece of fruit
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings and I don't eat anything beforehand, and I would say my workout is fairly strenuous - I usually burn 500 calories in about 45 minutes.

I think when I do eat before working out (say at the weekends) my workout is probably more productive, I probably have more energy, but I personally think it's inadvisable to eat right before you exercise - whenever I do this I end up getting a stitch half way through the work out. (And if you're swimming, you definitely shouldn't eat in the hour before you exercise!) So if I were to eat before I worked out I would have to get up much, much earlier, which I'm not going to do (given that I get up at 6.30 already to go to the gym).

I think this is fine, let's face it if you have eaten any sort of meal the night before then you will have some food left in your stomach left to burn - and if you haven't, then your body will have to burn fat instead, and isn't that what you want anyway?

Hope that helps!

P.S. I should point out that I am not a health expert so may be wrong about how advisable this is, however I always do it and I haven't fainted or anything yet...