Is it ok to run everyday (varied workouts)

Options
I am training for a 1/2 in may. Is it ok to run everyday (varied workouts)

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It is ok as long as your body is recovering. It is not ok if you overtrain yourself.

Recommend you google "overtraining" and then monitor the symptoms so that if you begin to cross the line you can back off.

The easiest thing to do is to monitor your morning resting pulse rate before you get up. If it becomes elevated more than around 10% it is telling you that you are not recovered from previous workouts.
  • Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options
    You can train for a half without running every day. Heck, I had to train for a full without running every day and posted a PR!

I agree with scottb81 - make sure you don't overtrain and monitoring your resting heartrate in the mornings will help with that. That's what I had to do through high school and college with 2-a-day training. It's a good indicator of overtraining and pushing too hard.

Also, please make sure that you have the correct running shoe... go get fitted at a running store (NOT Foot Locker or any other huge shoe depot, but an acutal specialty running store). It will save you a ton of injuries and hassle, especially if you plan on taking on a half with intense training.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I love to run but I also love to cycle. I know not everyone wants to cycle or will spend the money for a good bike, but it is great cross training for running. Running primarialy use the hamstrings and cycling uses the quads so switching the two up allows the muscles to rest while strengthening the corresponding muscles. Plus, if you do both, with tri's so popular you are two thirds of the way there!