The dreaded Potluck @ work....

jenlayport
jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
Tonight is our monthly potluck and I hate the temptations. I am making a pretty healthy bean dip so I am going to much on that and avoid all the sweets. I put 500 cal for my dinner tonight since its really hard to put everything, ya know? What are some ways to resist the temptation?

Replies

• Try and eat before you go, so the urge to eat everything in sight isn't there. Maybe fill up on some salad before you go, and save a little room. Then bring something healthy for yourself, that way you're still participating but you wont go overboard.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I just ignore the potluck and eat my normal meal that I bring for myself at work.
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    I am with Nicole. Eat healthy before you go. Then just a bite/taste of what looks best at the buffet.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    There is always really unhealthy stuff at my workplace, every meeting either pizza or sandwiches on white bread with wings, or something equally unhealthy is all that is provided.
    I sit and eat my usual lunch instead of even having a small bite of anything.
    I ONLY will eat something that is not on my plan if I have been craving it for a number of days. Just because there is something unhealthy around doesn't mean I have to eat any of it.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Anytime there's a potluck (at church or work) I have to go through it in my own order... Sometimes the salad is at the end, sometimes at the beginning. Pile up on calorie-cheap vegetables and salad. Have some of your own salad dressing ready if possible. Look for lean meats, or just a small bite of what's there, or just go veg for the meal.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Tonight is our monthly potluck and I hate the temptations. I am making a pretty healthy bean dip so I am going to much on that and avoid all the sweets. I put 500 cal for my dinner tonight since its really hard to put everything, ya know? What are some ways to resist the temptation?

Do you think that a potluck once/month can really throw off your progress?

Maybe shave off a few calories over the next few days to end the week where you should be.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    One of my co-workers is a diabetic but she loves sweets, so she makes her decision based on how much effort went into the dish. She won't waste even a glance on store-bought desserts, but a homemade cheesecake might make her look twice. And she'll still only have enough to be able to say, "Hey, Mary, that cheesecake was outrageous! Good job!"

Ditto what others have said. Don't show up hungry. Show up late (if you can) and leave early (if you can). Most people will understand and respect your choices, especially given your evident success. You might even end up being someone else's inspiration!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    We have potlucks all the time at my work as well. I just usually plan ahead and try to get some extra workouts in before or after so I can just enjoy myself and not worry about the food too much.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Fill up on the veggie tray or have a salad before. after choosing wisely to get a little of everything you want stay away from the food table. Grab a water and visit with people or make new friends. You'll chat away the night and not even notice the food.
This discussion has been closed.