Gaining size/muscle without the excess fat

Options
Hi guys. Sorry no picture. I've used MFP before as Manetta1 and things just got a little sketchy in my life so i'm back hehe. Anywho I'm thinking about putting some size on. I'm about 178lbs 6foot, lean. I have a 6 pack. I 'd like to have a slightly bigger upperframe but i dont want to risk my abs or put on fat. Currently i was working out 7 days a week following the strict p90x classic. As of last 2 weeks I've started to pull out the cardios and double up on the lifting so 5 days lifting 1 day cardio 1 day streching or day off. My quesiton is how many calories should I be taking in and if I should be doing a different routine altogether. My buddy said I should eat around 2200 cals but i'm thinking I should be sitting at 24 with 60% of it about being protein. Any thoughts.

Mike

Replies

• vol3detroit
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. I know from years of weight training that protien is key to muscle gains. Make sure you are resting each body part enough. So for example if you do triceps and chest on monday try to stay away from exercises that use the triceps like doing shoulders and work other parts of the boday or maybe cardio in between those days to rest the muscle and let it grow. Sounds like you are already in great shape. Let me know how it goes for you.

Scott
  • manettaMikey
    manettaMikey Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    scott actually i was trying a diff train regiment. I was hitting the same muscle groups 2 days in a row with one day as heavy weights and the 2nd as an active recovery with lighter weights. Than switching groups. just one day on legs.