easy muscle fatigue/weakness

Options
Since I have been cutting my calories I have noticed a HUGE difference in my muscle endurance! I am a big girl... naturally large frame with lots of natural muscle 19" calves with not a jiggle in sight. I also carry a lot of extra fat as well and that is what I am trying to get rid of but since I have cut back to 1200-1400 calories a day and limited my carb intake to 100g or less a day my muscles buuuurn and get crampy at nearly any attempt to use them. My calves and hamstrings are getting charlie horses and my shoulders and blades ache after doing my hair?!?! This is so unlike me and at first it felt kinda neat but now it just feels like my body is eating my muscles instead of fat.... although I have lost 4" off my waist and 3.5" off my hips so I do know for a fact my body is changing...

More protein??? More calories??? I'm not quite sure how to make it stop but with the way my shoulders feel today I need to find a solution. Also I do not eat 3 meals I day. I went from eating once or twice a day to eating 4-5 times a day. It's not even lunch time and I've already eaten twice!

Replies

• autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    bump!
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Multi vitamin! I get muscle cramps too and its usually because I'm missing a nutrient or two
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    for cramps it could be a lack of potassium or hydration. Do you drink at least 8 glasses of water a day (64 oz) minimum? On top of that you may need more carbs. Is there a reason you are on a carb reduced diet? Carbs are great for you (just avoid white cabs, white sugar, flour, etc) Carbs are the easiest source for your body to convert to energy, so you may want to bump those up slightly to see if it makes a difference. You can also change your goals to 1.5 lbs/week to get some extra calories to eat or if you are not eating your exercise calories you should start.
  • skyle954
    skyle954 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have no answers for you, but I'm interested in seeing what comes back as I also get massive muscle cramps, particularly in my thighs, hip bones and abs. To the point I can't breathe when my abs start cramping up. I did start taking magnesium right before bedtime and it seemed to help, but not by much.

Good Luck!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Just my opionion - Less than 100 grams of garbs may be to little of carbs to soon. Perhaps gradually cut them out instead of a drastic drop? What was your grams before? How much protien are you doing?

I'm primal so I limit my carbs. I'm 150 grams of Protein and 125 grams of carbs. but I'm 150lbs and I'm maintaining my weight. Everone is different and you have to play with the combos.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I drink TONS of water... up to a gallon or more a day... which I guess could be resulting in nutrient loss?? I will start taking my pre-natal vitamins and see what happens... Now that you mention it I DID get some gnarly muscle cramps and fatigue after I gave birth to my daughter and those vitamins did help. That will have to be on my to-do list today for sure!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say potassium, but recently discovered that this has little to do with muscle aches & cramping... but there is still the relationship with lactic acid. You could be releasing alot of toxins and using tendons that you're not accustomed to. Keep in mind bulky muscle and lean muscles are different kinds of fibers and if you're used to bulk and you're working lean, that could be a part of it too. It sounds so general it's hard to even guess what it could be but I would suggest upping your water and maybe some protein - see what happens after a week or two. If that doesn't help, then add a multi as someone suggested... don't do everything at once or you won't figure out what it is and how to prevent it or fix it later. :-) Process of elimination and all.

Good luck.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    100g or carbs per day is Ok - I eat that - give ot take 10G
    make sure you get good lean protien with each meal.

I will say managing hard workouts on a 1200 cal / 106g carb diet takes some planning - I have to have a snack after 60 mins of workout and skew my meals so I`m fuelled for the workout

If you are feeling weak - up the protiens and carbs a little and see if that helps

Also - take an iron supplement
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    1. Are you drinking enough water for your current weight? Muscle soreness/burning is often a sign of dehydration. Rule of thumb is 8 glasses per day for a normal weight person plus an extra glass for every 25 pounds extra weight on your body. Caffeine is dehydrating. If some of your 8 glasses a day are caffeinated drinks, drink extra water to supplement those. Extra water also helps to flush out some of the lactic acid that builds up in your muscles after exercise that can cause soreness.

2. Are you getting enough magnesium in your diet? Low magnesium levels cause cramping/soreness. If you're reducing calories, it's a good idea to take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement.

If it continues, see a doctor. It's not normal to have this kinds of muscle pain with a healthy weight reduction diet.

Good luck and God bless!
  • Newmammaluv
    Options
    Up until this point I have not been working out "hard." I used to be a gym rat and work out 3-4 hours a day 6 days a week!! I still carried a lot of extra fat then too but I was very bulky. I don't particularly LIKE the look of bulky muscle but it just seems like that is what my muscles are prone to. My Dad looks like a pregnant body builder and he never works out anymore hence him looking pregnant lol But unfortunately for me that is no bueno. I don't want to look like a body builder... I'm a girl!! I do Zumba twice a week and walk 30-60 minutes the other days... like I said NOT hard working out at all.

My water intake that I mentioned before does not unclude anything else but pure fresh spring water. Any coffee, tea or diet soda that I might indulge in once in a while I list as food and not water.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm jumping in here b/c i was just doing internal whining about the same thing. Not trying to hijack the thread, but really hoping to get helpful feedback.

I too am feeling a sense of achey-ness that isn't normal, in my arms. It feels different than the kind of muscle soreness you get after a good workout. That kind of pain, I am accustomed to. This is more like a sense that nutrients are being leached from my bones. Or, as the original poster stated, like maybe my body is eating the muscle? There's also the feeling of being easily fatigued. I don't know... it's an uncomfortable feeling, a dull ache and fatigue that signals that something isn't right. I've had this feeling before and can't remember what changed to make it better.

Original poster, I hope you get answers!

My diary is open if anyone feels compelled to take a peek for clues. Thanks!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    for cramps it could be a lack of potassium or hydration. Do you drink at least 8 glasses of water a day (64 oz) minimum? On top of that you may need more carbs. Is there a reason you are on a carb reduced diet? Carbs are great for you (just avoid white cabs, white sugar, flour, etc) Carbs are the easiest source for your body to convert to energy, so you may want to bump those up slightly to see if it makes a difference. You can also change your goals to 1.5 lbs/week to get some extra calories to eat or if you are not eating your exercise calories you should start.

AGREE!!

Check out the link in my signature: "An email response that might help some" It explains why our body prefers to burn off muscle instead of fat.

And also this:

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/index.html. This one also explains it. Check out "Law of Unintended Consequences".

It's a pretty good site for fitness info.

Try for a gram of protein for each pound of goal body weight (or lean muscle mass. If you are at 30% body fat then your lean mass would be the other 70%). I was told 1-3 servings of fruit and 3-6 servings of veggies and whatever else I want to eat within my calorie goal.

In fact check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172515-frantic-about-adhering-to-the-right-calorie-intake-read-t.

You can send this guy a message and give him your stats and your goals and he will give you a plan for losing.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Diet and exercise is stress on the body. The body treats all stress the same. It tries to protect itself from it.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Up until this point I have not been working out "hard." I used to be a gym rat and work out 3-4 hours a day 6 days a week!! I still carried a lot of extra fat then too but I was very bulky. I don't particularly LIKE the look of bulky muscle but it just seems like that is what my muscles are prone to. My Dad looks like a pregnant body builder and he never works out anymore hence him looking pregnant lol But unfortunately for me that is no bueno. I don't want to look like a body builder... I'm a girl!! I do Zumba twice a week and walk 30-60 minutes the other days... like I said NOT hard working out at all.

My water intake that I mentioned before does not unclude anything else but pure fresh spring water. Any coffee, tea or diet soda that I might indulge in once in a while I list as food and not water.

Women can't bulk up. We are not designed to do that because we don't have enough testosterone. It is hard enough for men to build muscle. Women need pills to do it. Right now you aren't doing any kind of strength training or weight lifting so you will not gain any muscle. Diet and cardio exercise cause muscle loss not gain. Incorporate some strength training into your workout and work on keeping that muscle mass. More muscle mass means a higher metabolism so you will burn more fat during rest, normal activity and even sleeping.

When you have a lot of fat on your body there is also fat marbled throughout the muscle (like a good steak). That's why the muscle look big. (and muscles can't get harder or softer. They can either get bigger and/or stronger OR smaller and/or weaker).

and a lack of potassium WILL cause muscle cramps.
  • Newmammaluv
    Options
    I can't comment on other women but I certainly do bulk up and so does the rest of my Dad's side of the family. Think of a Viking woman?? That's kinda what we all look like. LOL

That's not really what I am worried about right now though. What I am more worried about is why was I never fatigued and could go go go before when I would eat unlimited everything and now that I am eating healthy my body feels like it's slowing down. I think loss of nutrients might be it so I am starting vitamins today. I will see what happens and repost in this thread to let ppl know.

Women can't bulk up. We are not designed to do that because we don't have enough testosterone. It is hard enough for men to build muscle. Women need pills to do it. Right now you aren't doing any kind of strength training or weight lifting so you will not gain any muscle. Diet and cardio exercise cause muscle loss not gain. Incorporate some strength training into your workout and work on keeping that muscle mass. More muscle mass means a higher metabolism so you will burn more fat during rest, normal activity and even sleeping.

When you have a lot of fat on your body there is also fat marbled throughout the muscle (like a good steak). That's why the muscle look big. (and muscles can't get harder or softer. They can either get bigger and/or stronger OR smaller and/or weaker).
  • susancelli928
    Options
    More fluids and bananas. Same thing was happening to me and and a very good friend of mine who is completely into fitness told me that the reason for my muscle cramps was lack of potasium and being dehydrated. Pump up the water and bananas and you should be good in a few days.