walking with crutches VS just walking.

Options
onawho
onawho Posts: 196 Member
I am in the middle of my recovery from my broken ankle and I manage to do some cardio by walking around on my crutches. I found "walking with crutches" in the database and I plug in the time that I get in everyday. So my curiosity got the best of me today and I did a comparison; walking at a slow pace for 30mins VS walking with crutches for 30mins. The crutches walking burned almost double the amount of calories. How is this possible? I will admit that it makes me sweaty but I just figured that it was because I live in FL and its getting hot outside. Does swinging your torso under yourself really that much more of a workout?

PS I make sure I crunch my abs on my swing. :happy:

Replies

• Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I think the swinging probably does give you a little extra oomph!

Good for you for still keeping on keeping on :)
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Walking with crutches involves moving your arms far more than just slow walking and all that extra movemoent burns extra calories. It's the same with Nordic Walking, using poles gives a full body workout and burns much more energy than just brisk walking.
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Interesting... Once that ankle heals, break the other! lmao jk I don't wish that on you. Hope for the best on a speedy recovery!
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Forgot to state, you may wanna take it easy. Gotta keep that leg elevated to heal faster.