How much rest is required between cardio workouts?

Options
I'm trying to lose weight and, as such, have added more cardio workouts to my regimen. I know it's important to rest muscle groups between weight lifting sessions for recovery. Cardio workouts, however, have a different impact on the body and are more effective during the activity. Even though my intensity is high, I'm not usually sore following most workouts. How much rest is suggested between cardio sessions? (For example, I run 20-25 miles a week split over 5-6 days including 2-3 days spread out of weight training, usually circuit training and a day of active rest) Your input is appreciated.

Replies

• beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I cardio 6 days a week - i just alternate what i do.

Maybe stair step one day, run the next, elliptical the next, then step the next. Ur essentially working ur muscles differently each time.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to know this. :)
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I also do some form of cardio every day. i just alternate what I do each day. Swimming, running, circuit training (weights and cardio alternating) I think it's fine as long as you mix it up to avoid injuries.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I alternate days running and cycling. Both give me a good cardio workout, but running uses the hamstrings while cycling uses the quads. So I cardio train six day a week, but rest one muscle group each day while training the other. The two exercises complement each other beautifully. I strength train three days a week with three or four runs and three or four rides (not four of both). Two-a-days are doable as long as you allow time for each muscle group to rest. And I take a full day off once a week.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight and, as such, have added more cardio workouts to my regimen. I know it's important to rest muscle groups between weight lifting sessions for recovery. Cardio workouts, however, have a different impact on the body and are more effective during the activity. Even though my intensity is high, I'm not usually sore following most workouts. How much rest is suggested between cardio sessions? (For example, I run 20-25 miles a week split over 5-6 days including 2-3 days spread out of weight training, usually circuit training and a day of active rest) Your input is appreciated.

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPTenkeys.html
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    As many have mentioned in the previous posts, you can alternate between the types of cardio. However, if your cardio is mostly with running then alternate between the intensity level don't follow a speed/interval training day by Hill training days etc. Include easy runs, tempo run and split runs in you weekly routine.

Remember there is no such thing as being too slow in running better to err on the side of caution than to get injured. More does not necessarily mean better. I know you are a man :smile: but in this month's issue of Womens Running Magazine, there a very comprehensive 1/2 marathon training plan. It actually breaks everything down to the intensity level of each run. Check it out at the library or barnes and nobles. Good luck.
  • wolsamnoraa
    Options
    FitPhysique - very helpful. It looks like cardio training nearly everyday is groovy. I'll change up exercises and vary my tempo. Thanks.
  • johnwhitent
    Options
    I wanted to add an additional thought. Yes, one can wisely alternate muscle groups and do cardio on back to back days, but, taking one full rest day a week is still helpful. Some serious studies have shown that exercise is just another type of stress to one's physiology and health is enhanced by periodic full rest. At one level our bodies don't care if stress is exercise, divorce, job loss, or whatever. It needs rest from stress whatever the source. Maybe we can't control emotional stressors, and exercise does help there, but my point is that resting one muscle group while exercising another works but it is still stress to our physiology and we need rest from all exercise periodically. I am doing two-a-days (sometimes three) and I am exhausted by Sunday (my rest day.) I am seriously considering adding a second mid-week rest day if I am going to continue with intense two-a-days. My body is asking for rest after three days, but honestly I don't know if I can give up two days a week to rest. I love my trail running, road biking, and P90X and now on top of my program I am hill walking with my wife to encourage her to exercise. Anyway, rest is crucial! That's when our bodies grow muscle and recover.
  • RachArmstrong
    RachArmstrong Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was doing cardio everyday and started to get breathless at night, so went to my doc.
    Apparently, we need a rest day every 4th day. It lets the muscles relax and heal up.

Just a rest from cardio, mind, not a nothing day.

So maybe every 4th day, just do some toning/weights and then take your Sunday to chill and do nothing.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Having done an hour of circuits last night, and having gone for a 5.5k run this morning, I can safely say 14 hours is NOT ENOUGH TIME. My legs are going to fall off.
  • wolsamnoraa
    Options
    fteale - at least if your legs fall off, you will have met your weight loss goals.
  • johnwhitent
    Options
    I was doing cardio everyday and started to get breathless at night, so went to my doc.
    Apparently, we need a rest day every 4th day. It lets the muscles relax and heal up.

Just a rest from cardio, mind, not a nothing day.

So maybe every 4th day, just do some toning/weights and then take your Sunday to chill and do nothing.

When I read your comment in the AM I was resistant to your suggertion but now after completing my two-a-days (actually three today) I have to seriously consider more rest. I am off work Friday and Saturday so have the opportunity for some serious exercise time, but my body is so tired that I can't take full advantage. I wish I had done only one exercise today so I would be fresh tommorrow. Oh well, live and learn. I am rethinking my schedule based on my experience and your advice. Thanks.
  • maliusmaximus
    Options
    Hi all.
    I exercise very intensely. 8 times over 6 days per week. Usually i start with weights and cross training, and finish with cardio. On weekends i currently have the liberty of exercising twice per day, to break up my cardio and weights, allowing me to push myself more on the morning cardio. After my cardio I eat a balanced meal of carbs proteins fats and minerals.
    what im curious about is the actual Amount of time I should wait to restore nutrient levels to go back for my afternoon workout on these split days.
    for rhe split days I have a morning protein shake to get out of catabolosis and a high carb meal to prepare for the cardio. I dont feel too depleted after doing the cardio but I want to make sure im not going back to the gym too soon after lunch. I usually burn about 1000 calories in the morning cardio and am a very heavy sweater.
    thanks for your advice