Best/Healthiest Fish

Options
rmhand
rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
I cooked some fish for the first time last Friday. I had shied away from it most of my life but I really do like it. So my question is:

What is the best/healthiest fish?

I salmon is good for Omega-3s etc, but I have also heard the stuff that easy to pick up at the grocery store is usually farm raised and the good Alaskan stuff is expensive and available only part of the year.
Also I know Albacore has the most mercury of any fish so canned light turn is better.

What are your thoughts?

Ways of the cooking the fish are welcome too, but I'm really just looking for types of fish.

Replies

• cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i really love salmon! i could eat it all day
  • mimi31
    mimi31 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Prawns are great, and easy to prepare as they are often pre-cooked. Otherwise have you tried smoked mackerel - readily available, good value and full of omega 3's
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • rmhand
    Options

Great link!
    Thats what I was looking for. I suppose I could have googled that myself.
  • rmhand
    Options
    Omega-3 Rich Fish to Eat:
    Salmon
    Halibut
    Tuna
    Cod
    Sardines
    Anchovies

Fish To Avoid
    Swordfish
    Shark
    Tilefish
    King mackerel
    White (albacore) tuna
    Warm water fish like orange roughy
    Shellfish like clams, lobsters, oysters, shrimp and scallops
    Fish whose color has been preserved with dyes
    Farmed fish (unless from a responsible aqua-culturists)
  • rmhand
    Options
    Benefits Outweigh Risks
    Fish really is an ideal protein, and the benefits of eating fish far outweigh the risks...when you choose the right fish...and especially if you are on a pro-biotic diet. One study found that eating fish twice weekly is equivalent to taking a daily fish oil supplement!6
    Keep these guidelines in mind when you shop for fish and you'll reap the heart healthy benefits of fish without the risks. And if you have not already done so...add at least one fermented food to your diet especially when you eat a serving of your favorite fish.
    from: http://bodyecology.com/articles/the_fish_you_can_eat_and_should_avoid.php

Any idea on what is meant by a "fermented food"?
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Any idea on what is meant by a "fermented food"?

Fermented foods are foods produced or preserved by the action of microorganisms - such as turning sugars into alcohol through yeast, etc.
  • cosmo30
    cosmo30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    we are supposed to avoid shrimp?? I thought that was healthy and Iove it!:cry:
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you can catch it yourself that is the best fish. DO NOT BUY FARM RAISED
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

I don't agree that we should avoid shrimp, and it really depends on what website you look at as to whether you should eat it or not.

I like to use Michi's Ladder, and shrimp is listed in Tier 3 which is good. Also, if it was horrible for you, I don't think they would have shrimp recipes in P90X, ChaLEAN Extreme, Turbo Fire, etc.

But it is not the best when you are comparing to salmon, cod, etc. I typically eat shrimp once a week or once every 2 weeks. I have lots of great recipes for it and I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it...unless you get it from the Gulf Coast...
  • rmhand
    Options

I don't agree that we should avoid shrimp, and it really depends on what website you look at as to whether you should eat it or not.

I like to use Michi's Ladder, and shrimp is listed in Tier 3 which is good. Also, if it was horrible for you, I don't think they would have shrimp recipes in P90X, ChaLEAN Extreme, Turbo Fire, etc.

But it is not the best when you are comparing to salmon, cod, etc. I typically eat shrimp once a week or once every 2 weeks. I have lots of great recipes for it and I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it...unless you get it from the Gulf Coast...

The site says to avoid it due to the "toxins" because shrimp eat poop. lol. I was looking for info but its not something I'm going to live by.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    LOL, they eat poop!

So do catfish, but they aren't on the list of fish to avoid. :flowerforyou:

Also, if cooked properly and deveined, you can effectively remove the "toxic poop" from the shrimp, lol! :laugh:
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if its the healthiest,but I love the light delicacy of fresh lemon sole from the fishmonger,I've only had it twice or so,but it was nice...lol
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    could fermented foods also apply to saurkraut or kimchi i wonder?
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Tempeh is a fermented soy bean product. It's from Indonesia, but I can get it pretty easily here is Oz, and it is an aquired taste and tastes best deep fried, but now trying new ways to cook it.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    could fermented foods also apply to saurkraut or kimchi i wonder?

Yes, they are fermented foods.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    i really love salmon! i could eat it all day

amen!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I get the frozen wild alaskan salmon from costco. Cheaper than buying it at the fish monger (although I still do on occasion, when it's in season). I try to keep a bag of the frozen ones stocked all the time.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Shrimp in moderation is fine. Many feel the cholesterol in Shrimp is a good cholesterol. There is HDL (healthy-H) and LDL (lousy-L) cholesterol. You want your HDL to be higher, it is the good cholesterol.

I like salmon but for me raw Ahi is like a drug. It makes me feel better all over! Cooked squid for the first time ever (@54!) can't believe I was afraid to cook it cause I love that too.