what is really healthier?

Replies

• Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have no clue, I use "I can't believe its not butter"
  • Rzimmermano
    Options
    organic butter. Always go natural when in doubt.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    margarine is hydrogenated oil.

butter is saturated animal fat.

I think the 2nd one is better. I'm interested in what otehrs says.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi, I rarely eat margarine or butter but I usually use margarine (about 7g every two weeks :laugh: ) but I thought you might be interested in this article about Butter v's Margarine
    http://margarinealternatives.com/
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    Calorie-wise margarine is better. However, butter is made of NATURAL products! Don't get me wrong...it's fatty as all get out, but your body recognizes everything in it. It knows what to do with it. With margarine, I've read that your body tends to store more of it as fat automatically because of all the synthesized ingredients, etc. I'm no food nutritionist, but I have read that butter is better for your body than margarine. (In extreme moderation, of course.) I'm guilty of using margarine though.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I use olive spread. Couldnt stand margarine but didn't mind the "buttery" spreads, I'm a convert to the olive spreads now tho
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    margarine is created in a lab basically. they hydrogenate vegetable oils into what is commonly known as trans-fats. Naturally fats occur as cis-fats and therefore the body can break them down easier... because it's natural! Trans-fats are tightly packed due to their molecular structure and its very hard to metabolize in the body compared to cis-fats.

Without being dogmatic... I'd say All in all butter is healthier when considering the big picture of metabolism...organic butter is even more healthy. but if you're counting calories and fat, and don't really mind eating non-natural foods, margarine is probably the answer for you.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Butter. But you can't eat a ton of it. So I have gotten used to not buttering everything in site. When I eat potatoes, I eat the small yellow ones. They taste the best, and I dont have to add a lot of butter. I use butter in my baking, never margarine.

I have been eating I can't believe it's not butter light with olive oil on my toast in the morning. I only use half a TB. I am sure it is not good for me, but I don't eat it on anything else.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    REAL food for REAL people!!
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Butter is in my opinion! in moderation of course. Margarine has trans fats and is a blend of processed vegetable/animal fat oils. Both are very high in saturated fats, but a little butter goes a longer way in my opinion. ( i also try to eat organic and natural foods

Unless you are watching cholesterol closely, or are lactose intolerant, in which case margarine might sit better with your stomach :)
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I second that!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Butter. It tastes better and it's actually food, not something concocted in a lab.

I use so little butter ( i can go weeks without it, honestly) that when I want to butter something, I use the real stuff.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    butter has a stronger flavor than margarin and it is about 20% water so the fat is less concentrated, so tho it has more calories per ounce most people use less butter than margarin. plus in cooking nothing browns like butter, and margarin just can't replicate that nuttiness, and forget about baked goods, have you ever tried making a pie crust or cake batter with margarin.

there is nothing wrong with choosing foods based on taste.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options

I second that!

I feel the same way about sugar! It amazes me daily the crap people put into their bodies.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options

:bigsmile:
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i was thinking butter would be because its not all processed and stuff. And it does taste waaaay better.