Low Sodium Recipes and food choices?

Options
I am looking for low sodium recipes to try. I am trying to keep my total below 1500 a day and find that its pretty hard even if you don't eat processed dinners or food. We buy low sodium beans, broth ect and still find the totals for a meal are just at the border to kick me over 1500 for the day.

John

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I make my own broth now as the store bought stuff is so high in sodium! At least once per week I throw a whole chicken in my slow cooker on a bed of 1 onion, 4 stalks of celery, and 3 carrots with some poultry seasoning and olive oil and 1 cup of water. Put the bird breast side down and then you will have a great dinner, or protein for lunches, and the most amazing broth you have ever tasted!
    Beans can be bought dried instead of canned so there is no sodium present as well, they just need to soak overnight in the fridge.
    I make everything from scratch now so my sodium is usually very low. If it is packaged it contains sodium unfortunately.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If I use broth, I water it down more and add other things to it to bring out more flavour, like mushrooms or onions.

I have to watch mine too, cause if I go higher then about 1400.. I start to bloat.