Is Steak Ok?

Options
So I've heard good and bad things about a good steak. What are your thoughts? Good or Bad for Diet?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sure, great protein! Keep it to lean cuts like top round or top sirloin. And try to stay within your calorie and carb/protein/fat goals. Mmm steak.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Steak is awsome! Just don't eat it every day and keep an eye on the portioin size. 6 oz for a man is plenty!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I think anything is fine in moderation.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Steak is GOOD!! Just like everything, small portions.
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with steak. Make sure it's lean! It's loaded with Protein! This is what I found on Bodybuilding.com http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beef.htm
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Lean cuts are perfectly fine. I would limit it to one or two servings a week though.
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    Steak is fantastic. If it's conventional cuts of meat, go for leaner cuts. If, however, it's grass-fed, anything goes! My husband and I recently bought 1/4 side of beef and eat steak about 2x per week (as well as some ground beef too). Delicious and the benefits of grass-fed are tremendous!
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think anything is fine in moderation.

Amen.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sure! Plenty of protein, just watch the portion size, choose lean cuts and don't underestimate the calorie count. YUMMM!!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love ribeyes and prefer it over leaner steaks. This is a trade off in fat and saturated fat. But I prefer to eat less of things I truly enjoy, rather than more of something I just find okay. But a steak and giant spinach salad and maybe a small baked sweet potato on the side? Sounds like a great dinner to me.
  • msdominique1
    msdominique1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Glad someone asked this question, because I was curious about steak too... I have been eating fish and chicken and cut the beef... but I see its ok to still eat it... Watch the size and cut of the steak...

Thanks all for the info.
  • kaveril422
    kaveril422 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love ribeyes and prefer it over leaner steaks. This is a trade off in fat and saturated fat. But I prefer to eat less of things I truly enjoy, rather than more of something I just find okay. But a steak and giant spinach salad and maybe a small baked sweet potato on the side? Sounds like a great dinner to me.

I love ribeyes also, so I just eat a small amount when I do eat steak. And that does sound like a great dinner, I think I may have that tomorrow!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Glad someone asked this question, because I was curious about steak too... I have been eating fish and chicken and cut the beef... but I see its ok to still eat it... Watch the size and cut of the steak...

Thanks all for the info.

And to be fair there are health reasons why someone might need to completely cut red meat, or greatly reduce it. But, as part of balanced diet it far from out-of-bounds to eat steak while you are trying lose weight.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Did you say "steak?" Mmmm....
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have just finished a 6oz aberdeen angus steak with rocket salad and sauted mushrooms, and it was was wonderful.
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    has just finished a steak too nom nom nom ....love steak i just dont eat it that often
  • skhny
    skhny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great protein, very rewarding and filling keep your portion about the same size as a deck of cards and enjoy! But watch the steaksauce or ketchup as they are loaded with sodium!!
  • Shamrock40
    Shamrock40 Posts: 264
    Options
    I would cry my eyes out if my Dr. ever told me to cut red meat out of my diet. I'm a total carnivore! One of my favorite things to eat is a steak salad. I normally use top sirloin, but I made pot roast the other day, and I have eaten it with a salad. It was delicious. I am a ribeye fan, too, but I save eating one of those for a day when I'm not counting calories, like a special dinner for Valentine's Day or a birthday dinner. YUMMY!!

As a previous poster said, everything in moderation.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have top sirloin once a week. Yum!
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    I cook up my new York strip and then immediately cut it in half and put half in the fridge for the next day. I cut my pieces smaller than I used to so that it feels like I am still eating the same amount since I am taking more bites. Even though I am eating steaks my cholesterol levels are awesome so I am not worried.