Eating at night

Options
Hi, I had a question about eating at night. Lately I've been having cottage cheese and peanut butter before going to sleep. I've read that this is really popular with body builders as the protein helps repairs and keeps your muscles from going into catabolism.

I've been trying to tone up and lose a few pounds and was wondering if eating at night will prevent me from losing weight. I haven't gained, but just wanted to know if this is slowing down my weight loss.

Thanks!

Replies

• alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. Doesn't matter when eaten.l
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese and pickles sometimes before i go to bed but as long as i'm under my calorie goal it doesn't change a thing.
  • MissCherrySuicide
    MissCherrySuicide Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Alot of trainers say do not eat after 7 at night, but to be honest, everyones schedule is different. You might be up till 11 at night. Idealy, don't eat 3 hours before you sleep or else it will just sit there and not digest.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I wouldn't eat anything too heavy (peanut butter might be a bit much right before bed).

Lately if I have to have something right before bed I make sure it's something with jalapenos in it. I WAKE UP sweating the next morning. :-D Couple it with something high in protein but low in fat (hard boiled eggs, chicken) and you're probably golden.
  • lauren0985
    lauren0985 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm curious....do you mix them?
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I usually don't eat 2 hours before bedtime....everyone has a different opinion on this, I just don't want to take the chance:laugh:

But if I DO eat at night, it's usually a banana and peanut butter or something. Don't feel bad, if you're hungry, eat.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't hurt your progress at all, unless it puts you over your calories for the day. Cottage cheese is a good source of cassein protein, which is a good type of protein to have before bed. It digests slowly, and helps your body repair the muscles as you sleep.
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    I usually microwave the peanut butter and mix it with cottage cheese.

But thanks guys! I've been eating at night since I exercise pretty late. My progress has been good, so I guess eating at night isn't really a big deal.
  • ian191
    ian191 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As long as it isn't setting you over your calorie limit, you are fine. The not eating after X o'clock is just a good idea, kind of like not drinking water a couple hours before bed, otherwise you will have to get up and pee ;) Not sure how the food would affect you, though.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you are working out late at night you should definately have a snack after... I do that also! and I get so hungry... lol