Training for a race

Options
Recently, I have gotten off track for the hundredth time. I get in grooves, I lose, then I get bored. What I want to do is start training for a race. I think it will give me the incentive to stick with my workouts and get my *kitten* in shape once and for all. My only problem is where do I start??? I don't know how long I should train for, what exercises I should do, how much weight I should lose, what I should eat, or even how to find a race near me that I can register for. I am so serious about this. Rookies do this all the time, so I KNOW I can do it. I just need a little help and a budge from my buddies here on MFP. So all input is appreciated. If anyone has been through this, please share your stories. Thank you all so much!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I would look on runners world or running world (I never remember which!) for a race near you. Just take the leap and sign up. I just did 2 days ago. Start small - a 10k or so. Don't go for a half marathon until you have a bit of experience under your belt, as it can be pretty dangerous if you aren't prepared. My friend just did a half marathon at the weekend and said she was amazed how many people were being carted off on stretchers at the finish line!
    So start with a 10k. Train 4k, then 6, then 8, then if you have time, 10k. I went from zero to running a 10k in 8 days last sept when a friend signed me up for one at short notice, which nearly killed me, but it was the kick start I needed to start getting properly fit again.
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What kind of race? Running? If you are thinking about running, a 5k is a manageable distance and won't take that long to train if you have been working out at all. Try the Couch to 5k training plan or just google 5k training schedules. As for how to find a race, again try googling 5k in your hometown or Runner's World.com lists upcoming races. Good luck! I fully believe that having a specific goal/race in mind helps you to stick with the workouts, and think how proud you will be when you finish the race. My friend and I did the couch to 5k plan last year and did our first 5k together. You will have an adrenaline rush on race day and be able to run further than normal too.
  • Andrea1138
    Options
    I would start with a 5k :) Runners World has a beginners training link, and you'll find a "Couch to 5K" plan there that is really good. Except I don't know if you have previous running experience. But Couch to 5K is a great place for beginning runners to start.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Couch To 5K is PERFECT for your goals!

You usually see this program on the forums as C25K. ;)

Basically, C25K is a program to ease people into running by incorporating short, but increasing, bursts of running into 20 minute walks. This keeps people from doing too much, too soon and either burning out or injuring themselves. You go from no running to running 30 minutes (or a 5k-3.1 miles) over 9 weeks.

Most folks here use the coolrunning program. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml There are numerous podcasts and smartphone apps that will keep track of the timing for you.

You can find races in your area on active.com.
  • kerryannk
    kerryannk Posts: 148
    Options
    i decided to do the couch to 5k program, ive never been much of a runner. its 9 weeks long. i think the challenge would help me as well, for the same reasons. i signed up for the warrior dash in on july 30, so thats my incentive to keep it up. it's 3.3 miles (with obstacles and crazy stuff... what am i getting myself into...?) but maybe a 5k would be a good starting point? whatever your capable of!
  • Andrea1138
    Options
    If I could just add~make sure you have good shoes for running, that are fit right for your feet. You can go to a running store and they will help you with shoes. Runners World has info to help you find out what kind of feet you have and what kind of shoes you need (i.e. flat feet, high arches, if you walk on inside or outside of your feet, etc.)
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys!!!! This is all SO helpful. Thank you so much. Im gonna try the C25K!!! I used to work out a lot and could run/walk 60mins straight. I really can't wait to get back in shape. Im gonna try to wrangle a couple girls I know into doing this with me!
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on great running shoes?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on great running shoes?

My suggestions, or anyone else's, really only apply to us.

Your best bet is to go to a specialty running store and let them fit you. They'll determine what 'type' of shoe you should be wearing, and then you'll try on many brands of that type to determine which is the best fit.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    As far as shoes go, definitely listen to the previous posters. I went to a running store in my area and was fit for shoes; they are a dream! I was actually excited about running (soo wierd!), and now I'm working on C25k!

I like active.com a lot, there are a multitude of tips and tidbits on there. Also, you can search for events in your area and even register right on the site.