Is protein powder necessary?...

Options
Tom Venuto compares whey protein to real food. Very interesting.

http://www.maxmusclereviews.com/articles/supplements/protein-supplements-vs-protein-foods.html

Do we need whey protein? What's the point, other than convenience? Tell me what you think.

Replies

• WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Lots of people love it for post workouts, I do not however, I prefer to get my calories in real food personally.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not "necessary", but it's convenient. (For me, at least)

I am super busy and can barely find the time to work out as it is, so if I had to be chewing on meat and eggs all day I would't have the time to exercise!
    I can mix a shake and take it with me if I have to run out of the house right after my workout and shower.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 469
    Options
    in one word - NO
    of course it's not necessary.
    you can get your protein from food, but i find it a convenient way to get my protein at times throughout the day so if you're looking to add protein to your diet then it's a great way to do it.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I use them but not as my sole source of protein.

I only use them right after a weights lifting session and maybe another one an hour after that first, post workout shake.

The rest of the protein I need I get from food.

The shakes are good for fast-absorption because they're liquid. That's why I use them right after weights training and not after cardio. I need as many protein cells filling my muscles as possible while they're in that post-workout-ripped-up state.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It's a supplement. To me that means if you are not meeting your goal protein intake from whole foods...then you can take it in it's concentrated form. It's no different than a vitamin.

Convenient, yes. A total replacement for all your protein intake? No.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It's just as necessary as cod fish.

Meaning, both are great sources of protein, but you don't need either one for losing weight or gaining muscle mass.

I personally use it every once in a while when I am lacking in protein for the day. I am trying to gain lean muscle mass and therefore changed my protein goals to be 1 gram of protein per pound bodyweight, which in my case is actually 35% of my total goal in calories. But, I must admit that sometimes it is hard to reach that goal since I don't want to have egg whites for breakfast everyday, and sometimes I make meatless meals like my refried bean and low fat cottage cheese enchiladas. So I will add in a protein shake to get my protein numbers up.
  • kerryannk
    kerryannk Posts: 148
    Options
    I drink shakes for breakfast. I've never cared for breakfast, and with it being so important for my metabollism, I need it. Shakes are the perfect subtitute for me, and the whey powder is significantly cheaper than slimfast of special k breakfast/protein shakes. it also has significantly less sugar.

my vote is yes :)
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I use it after my workouts, but only because I don't get hungry afterwards and I can just mix a shake and drink it. I try to get my protein from my meals, so the powder is just a little bonus to get closer to my daily intake goal.
    Take it, if you want. Don't take it, if you don't want. Just make sure you get some protein, if from powder or meals doesn't matter that much.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Did anyone actually read the article before giving their opinions? Thanks, nonetheless.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Did anyone actually read the article before giving their opinions? Thanks, nonetheless.

yes I did actually.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

yes I did actually.

Ditto.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    A point that they missed is that it is significantly cheaper to use Whey protein as part of a healthy diet. Having 2 scoops of Whey is cheaper than buying a 5oz piece of steak. Whey shouldn't be your only source of protein, but there are advantages to using it as a supplement.
  • mlebannon
    Options
    NO. No no no no no no no.

The only time protein powder is ever justifiable is if you're bodybuilding. EVER. It is completely unnecessary and unhealthy. The only reason people think they need it is because the people who market that stuff are trying to make money. Period.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    with it being so important for my metabollism, I need it.

Protein shake is certainly not a bad choice for breakfast but this is simply not true. Breakfast does not speed up/keep metabolism going. If you skip breakfast, scientific studies say your metabolism actually kicks up a bit. Just hate to see people misinformed.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I think most people are too hung up on protein. Most people/meat eaters eat far too much of it.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I think most people are too hung up on protein. Most people/meat eaters eat far too much of it.

Its proven to help weightloss.....how much is too much?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options

Its proven to help weightloss.....how much is too much?

When doing sports nutrition for rowing coaching we were told most people only need a matchbox sized amount of protein per day, even when doing competitive sport. Most meat eaters have something like 3 or 4 times this amount.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don`t see whey protein as very different from regular food. It is the extracted protein from milk. 1 scoop is like drinking 4 cups of milk without the sugar and fat. The transformation process is a byproduct of cheese production. So it is as unnatural as cheese.

After I workout, I get changed, drive home then take a shower. that takes about 30 minutes. At that point I should consume my protein. If I had to prepare and cook my protein it could take and additional 10-40 minutes. Instead I mix a protein shake in 2 minutes. It is important to get that protein in asap after a workout, the protein powder is more than a little convinient there, it is extremely helpful.

Plus it is nice to diversify food intake. Lean proteins get rudundant after a while, the powder is another way to mix it up. It's a staple in my kitchen.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options

When doing sports nutrition for rowing coaching we were told most people only need a matchbox sized amount of protein per day, even when doing competitive sport. Most meat eaters have something like 3 or 4 times this amount.

what size match box?
    The little one that is 3'x2'x1', or the large one that are like 5'x3'x2'.

Also, shouldn't the matchbox size depend on the size of the rower?. A 150lbs female rower would likely need a smaller matchbox than a 200lbs male rower.