a greek dish

Options
ok. I'm doing my homework and I want to help everyone out there who wants extra info on greek foods. A great dish that is made from green beans with tomatoes cooked in oil (fassolakia). Nutritional info: Per Serving:
Calories- 217
Protein- 4.1
Fats- 14.6
Carbs-17
Cholesterol- 0

Recipe-
2.2 pounds of fresh string type beans
4 tablespoons of olive oil2 onions chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
a bunch of parsley finely chopped
1/2 pound of ripe tomatoes peeled and finely chopped
2 teaspoons of salt
pepper
1 cup of water

In a pot add the olive oil and onions and saute until translucent. Add the garlic,parsley,tomatoes, salt and pepper. Saute 2 mins then add green beans and 1 cup of water

stir, cover, and simmer for about 50 to 80 mins (depending on how tender the beans are)

p.s. you should keep your eye on it and stir to make sure all the water hasn't evaporated. If there isn't anymore water left then add a little at a time. And make sure the heat isn't turned up too high.

Replies

• peggy
    peggy Posts: 25
    Options
    ok. I'm doing my homework and I want to help everyone out there who wants extra info on greek foods. A great dish that is made from green beans with tomatoes cooked in oil (fassolakia). Nutritional info: Per Serving:
    Calories- 217
    Protein- 4.1
    Fats- 14.6
    Carbs-17
    Cholesterol- 0

Recipe-
    2.2 pounds of fresh string type beans
    4 tablespoons of olive oil2 onions chopped
    2 cloves of garlic crushed
    a bunch of parsley finely chopped
    1/2 pound of ripe tomatoes peeled and finely chopped
    2 teaspoons of salt
    pepper
    1 cup of water

In a pot add the olive oil and onions and saute until translucent. Add the garlic,parsley,tomatoes, salt and pepper. Saute 2 mins then add green beans and 1 cup of water

stir, cover, and simmer for about 50 to 80 mins (depending on how tender the beans are)

p.s. you should keep your eye on it and stir to make sure all the water hasn't evaporated. If there isn't anymore water left then add a little at a time. And make sure the heat isn't turned up too high.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Sounds very tasty Peggy. I am going to try Spanicopita this weekend. Any good hints or notes I can use? I am a little worried that I won't get it right.

Thanks
    Eve
  • peggy
    peggy Posts: 25
    Options
    yum I love spanakopita. I'm sorry though can't help you there because I can never get it right.:grumble:
    My mother in law makes it for me. Well anyway, good luck and let me know how it went
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    #1 hint for making spanikopita.......keep the phyllo dough moist! Once it starts to dry, it cracks, breaks, chips, tears.....it is VERY fragile.