saggy belly!

Options
i am very close to my weight loss goal, i am very happy with how i look.....except for my saggy belly. i had my daughter almost two years ago. i lost most of the weight after the first year, and now i'm finally getting rid of those last 10 lbs. does anyone have any advice about toning up this area? are crunches my only option? part of the problem is the scar from my c-section pulls some of the skin down, but there' got to be something i can do about it right?

Replies

• GoingMedium
    Options
    I don't have children but, in reading other postings on this site and other sites, cardio is the way to go to lose the belly weight. Others, after getting very close to their goal weight, opt for the nip/tuck.
  • angiebaby1977
    Options
    Cardio cardio cardio..burn baby burn. Great job!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Crunches are not the best ab exercise, actually. Most people think they are, but they really aren't.

I would advise you to keep eating healthy at a slight deficit (not a huge one since you are close to your goal weight) and to keep your cardio up. If you are not doing any strength training, I would add a couple of sessions a week to help tone up your body.

And as far as strengthening the abs, I believe the best exercises for this are plank moves and push-ups (using correct form, not allowing your rear to sag). If you can't do push-ups, then get up in the push-up position and stay there as long as your arms will allow you. If done with correct form, trust me, your abs will be screaming!
  • ckwestbrook
    Options
    Same here.. I slacked off on working out for a while. But when I was getting improvements it was from weight training and mainly yoga moves like planks.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i use a exercise ball and my stomach is pretty flat, but that is one area i've never really had a problem with:smile:
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - cardio, plank, push ups will do the best! :)
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would totally start yoga:) And I would recommend Baron Baptiste power vinyasa live series. I have the same problem, very close to my goal weight with areas that are holding the fat like my belly, it seems like mostly loose skin... but it IS getting smaller, very very slowly and Im starting to get very strong muscles on the sides of my waist that Im hoping will move into the front:) Building muscle will burn fat but burning the excess fat with cardio is just as important. How I understand it is lengthening while toning along with the cardio and strengthening exercises are a fabulous combo to get that last bit of fat off... thats what IM doing anyways and its the only way Ive finally noticed a difference:) Also, eating a combo of carbs, protein, and lean fats 5-6 times a day with a good deficit has helped me too:) good luck!!!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I second the planks.
    I could do crunches for ages, but 30-60 seconds worth of plank and I'm feeling it!
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!!! My "mummy tummy" as I lovingly refer to it - I've been working out - circuit training, running, kickboxing, yoga - I think I just wasn't blessed with a tummy that'll ever go back (but, before I got pregnant with my son, I lost 70 lbs, so my hangy belly has two strikes against it!!!
    I think with time, cardio, heathy eating and core work it'll come?!??! I HOPE, at least :)
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    Depending on how much weight you lost...If it is sagging though it is loose skin and only a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty will help sorry to say...
  • gagagul
    gagagul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Push ups for sure! Military style I would start doing as many as you can without having your knees touch twice a week then up it once it gets easy to three times a week and so on. Also uping the amount you do as well. Soon you will be Rocking those abs!
  • lexi1ky
    lexi1ky Posts: 7
    Options
    i am very close to my weight loss goal, i am very happy with how i look.....except for my saggy belly. i had my daughter almost two years ago. i lost most of the weight after the first year, and now i'm finally getting rid of those last 10 lbs. does anyone have any advice about toning up this area? are crunches my only option? part of the problem is the scar from my c-section pulls some of the skin down, but there' got to be something i can do about it right?
    [/quote

I have the same belly problem because I had 2 c-sections. I'm not really sure it will go away with out surgery.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 kids, and that bit of saggy belly skin is something I think I'll always have. Check out my pics....I'm at my goal weight, and I work my abs like crazy; and the skin really isn't that noticible. I notice it more than anyone else does. I"m just having to face the fact that all the exercise in the world won't bring back skin that has been stretched by those precious little babies. :) I choose to look at it as a trophy of motherhood! (Agree with other posters as well....planks and push ups are amazing for the abs!)
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    Depending on how much weight you lost...If it is sagging though it is loose skin and only a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty will help sorry to say...

Agreed. After having 5 kids, and being within 4 pounds of my goal weigh, my saggy tummy is loose skin that will never go away. I go in tomorrow for a consult for a tummy tuck.
  • AndreaWyland
    Options
    I've had 3 kids, and that bit of saggy belly skin is something I think I'll always have. Check out my pics....I'm at my goal weight, and I work my abs like crazy; and the skin really isn't that noticible. I notice it more than anyone else does. I"m just having to face the fact that all the exercise in the world won't bring back skin that has been stretched by those precious little babies. :) I choose to look at it as a trophy of motherhood! (Agree with other posters as well....planks and push ups are amazing for the abs!)

So I did look at your pics... and Im sorry but you dont have any loose skin left that I could see... you look amazing and no doubt had to work hard for that stomach esp if youve had children and esp if you had a c section... but i have to strongly disagree with the loose skin on you:) For those of us that truly have that skin we should embrace it I guess as part of our new body AFTER kids but Im hell bent on trying to tighten a little more...:)
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options

So I did look at your pics... and Im sorry but you dont have any loose skin left that I could see... you look amazing and no doubt had to work hard for that stomach esp if youve had children and esp if you had a c section... but i have to strongly disagree with the loose skin on you:) For those of us that truly have that skin we should embrace it I guess as part of our new body AFTER kids but Im hell bent on trying to tighten a little more...:)
    LOL Thanks! :)
    I notice it most when I bend over, or when I'm doing pushups or something and happen to get a glance of my belly. Otherwise it's not too bad....just not "picture perfect"....but then I'm always my worst critic. If it helps, I also noticed that in the last 10 lbs, it seemed like EVERY pound sat directly around my belly button, and once those were gone things really smoothed out. It's amazing what losing the last couple pounds can do.
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I am personally talking about a sagging belly...Which occurs after substantial weight gain...I have 70 pounds to lose...There is a big difference between a lot of weight gain and a sagging belly from skin stretching and 20 pound soft muscle tissue that can be worked on...However sagging skin cannot.
  • AndreaWyland
    Options

LOL Thanks! :)
    I notice it most when I bend over, or when I'm doing pushups or something and happen to get a glance of my belly. Otherwise it's not too bad....just not "picture perfect"....but then I'm always my worst critic. If it helps, I also noticed that in the last 10 lbs, it seemed like EVERY pound sat directly around my belly button, and once those were gone things really smoothed out. It's amazing what losing the last couple pounds can do.

And so what do YOU recommend to lower your body fat when its 10 pds away?
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Running but really running like your being chased down!!....:wink:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am quite tempted by the idea of this http://freezeliposuction.com/

My post baby tummy is the only place I am holding fat, and nothing seems to shift it!