3 yr old weighs 132lbs??

Options
adnama_wpg
adnama_wpg Posts: 32 Member
Oh wow.. look at this article about a 3 yr old who weighs ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY TWO POUNDS.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368790/Lu-Hao-Chinese-toddler-3-weighs-staggering-132lbs-hes-growing.html

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    thats so sad. They don't understand why he is overweight but then say that they feed him what he wants or he cries,and take him to school on a motorbike instead of walking.
    Some parents are truly in denial that they might not be helping their children make the best choices.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • Peromei
    Peromei Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Reading stuff like this makes me sick to my stomach. That poor child.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    He can't even carry his son!
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am the mother of 4--- and that should be considered child abuse!!!!!!!!! If you were starving your child you would be charged and you should be charged for this as well. Very sad.
  • bradynsmom
    bradynsmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Very sad, my heart aches for that little guy. I am the mother of a 3 year old and he is currently 29 pounds and when he wants carried he gets heavy quickly but I could not begin to think how it would be not to pick him up for a hug or anything.
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    poor kid, hope his parents start saying no to him soon
  • kittyb1
    kittyb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a matter of parent neglect. He needs to be seen by a geneticist to screen him for a variety of genetic disorders including Prader-Willi syndrome. Of course there is concern over the rise in obesity but when one see's small children that are "extremely" over weight from normal weight parents "blame" should not be the first response, rather a questioning of why this might be, and of course compassion.
  • coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    The child has a syndrome. It's not the parents fault.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It is so sad that the child can't even really open his eyes. What a sad situation....
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a matter of parent neglect. He needs to be seen by a geneticist to screen him for a variety of genetic disorders including Prader-Willi syndrome. Of course there is concern over the rise in obesity but when one see's small children that are "extremely" over weight from normal weight parents "blame" should not be the first response, rather a questioning of why this might be, and of course compassion.

I agree with this really,but that being said there are obvious signs that the excess weight is due to parental neglect. But you are right,weight THAT extreme could definitely be accredited to some sort of imbalance or disorder.
  • zianiH
    zianiH Posts: 68
    Options
    The parents apperantly scared of him
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    A 3 year old doesnt make choices... the parent does that for him. Child abuse.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Makes me think... i have a 3 year old and she's about 35 lbs. My goal weight is 132! (I'm 5.4 feet and 26 years old)
    My kids cry for unhealthy food too but guess what, they eat what i fix, end of story. They want candy.... 1 a day but only if they behave and eat their veggies.

When my kids go through a growth spurt they can eat 2 bowels of cereal or 4 packages of oatmeal plus a banana. But that only happens every so often.
    As a parent we have to say no at a certain point.... there are also sooo many obese little kids out in America, shoot, seen them on talk shows..... they don't wanna see their kid throw a fit so they give in. NOT GOD for that kid... not just now but for the future as well. He/she will have tons of problems when grown up. Not everything can go their way
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

I agree with this really,but that being said there are obvious signs that the excess weight is due to parental neglect. But you are right,weight THAT extreme could definitely be accredited to some sort of imbalance or disorder.

That's the syndrome where they don't have the feeling of being full right? It's really rare?
  • kittyb1
    kittyb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Here is a quick link on PWS and how the genetic defect cause a feeling of starvation and uncontrollable hunger and leads to obesity if not diagnosed and caloric restriction and increased energy expenditure aren't put into place. Too often children are not diagnose until after they have become obese, which of course will make it much harder to then treat.

http://www.healthofchildren.com/P/Prader-Willi-Syndrome.html
  • Rosie958r
    Rosie958r Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Poor kid
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old weighs 30 pounds!!!!!!!!! Crazy!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    This really does seem like a syndrome that needs medical diagnosis, and intervention and education for the parents to manage it.
    Using something so extreme to illustrate childhood obesity isn't really helpful, specially not when it turns into blaming the parents.
    Poor little (big) guy and his family. :(