Hi, newbie to everything

fitplan27
fitplan27 Posts: 3
edited September 25 in Introduce Yourself
I am new to this whole exercise-on-a-regular-basis and watch-what-I-eat lifestyle. I'm a female in my late 20s... I am at the low end of the healthy bmi so my goal isn't to lose weight but to have more lean muscle. I guess what I need the most help with is having a proper diet with the correct nutrients, along with a proper workout plan that involves strength training and cardio. I live in an active area of the US, so me and my partner have access to hiking trails and other similar activities which we take advantage of on the weekends. While I have a desk job, we are active on the weekends.

Joined a gym less than a month ago and have been going 2-3/week. There, I will do anywhere from 30-60 minutes on the elliptical (depending on the intensity of the workout). I like the interval training and have been getting used to turning up the resistance (currently I am between a 6-8 resist though I am not sure how that would compare to other beginners). I also will power walk for 20-40 minutes at ~4.0 pace, sometimes on a level 3 incline. I had a fitness orientation with a trainer at the gym I joined, so I was able to learn some different ways to strength train. I'll try to do the strength on the days I do not do cardio, but sometimes squeeze in some dumbbell sets if I'm just sitting around at home as well, whenever. Also mix things up I am looking at taking some of the classes at the gym such as yoga, pilates and spin class in the coming weeks.

Diet. I am still working on what to eat. I hate sitting in a grocery store and inspecting labels so I try to do as much research online at home before I go! I guess I am self-conscious being skinny and then spending the time to inspect the nutrition labels at the store. Maybe I'm just being weird... I'm still trying to wrap my head around proper carb/protien/fat ratios and what specific ingredients to stay away from in foods and balance and everything like that.

Overall I just want to be living a healthier lifestyle. Since starting this regiment I have felt great, been in a way better mood and find I have more energy all day long. So I'm excited to be joining an active community that will help me with my goals (and I'll try to give back as much as I can too).
This discussion has been closed.