Snacking Help

Options
:devil: I have a majpr snacking issue, especially at night, besides fruit i eat cereal, maybe some chips, or whatever i can find that i can snack on. Half the time I am not even hungry, what can i do, i only get cravings after like 8 and I dont deprive myself lol but i should are there any ideas that may help allure me away from snacking or even other healthy ideas besides fruit thank you!!

Replies

• JessieLU
    JessieLU Posts: 6
    Options
    Try drinking water or hot tea. I notice that when I drink water it suppresses my appetite. Also you could try drinking a small glass of milk.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This used to be really hard for me too. I still snack at night sometimes, but for the most part I am finding the ability to stay away from it. I've only been doing this for 2 months and feel like I already have curbed some of the desire to mindlessly eat at night! You can do it :) You can add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I try to eat supper as late as i can wait for it.. if i eat at 630 then i 'm not hungry before bed... it's better to have a healthy snack after work/school and then fill up at a later supper
  • Alviraj
    Alviraj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are an emotional eater, which is what I was. I use to eat, because food was there, or I was bored. The thing is you realize you aren't even hungry, you just eat. Try doing something you like, instead of eating that snack you really don't want. Do you like to read, write, go for a walk or exercise.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    lol..I have the same problems..I actually changed my snacks to Daytime and Nightime so I could try to watch what I was eating in the night....honestly the only thing that works for me is to go to the gym after work...then eat a late supper, usually between 8-9....and then I am not hungry or don't have time to eat before I go to bed again...lol....drinking lots of water in the night sometimes curbs it too...or I tell myselft not unitl the next commercail, then the next..and then I forget about it.....it is more breaking the habit I think then being hungry....
  • mjanet
    mjanet Posts: 54
    Options
    Do you eat dinner? Well I usually drink water. Sometimes our bodies crave water but we interpret that signal as hunger or a craving. Good luck its all a mind game.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem too. What are you doing while you're snacking? If you're watching TV then perhaps you have associated snacking with watching TV. If you're browsing the net perhaps you've associated that with eating... you have to condition yourself to do those activities without eating. It's hard at first. I'm sure many of us have wateched THE BIGGEST LOSER at 8 PM and have eaten something :ohwell: . If for some reason you can't seem to stop yourself from snacking then allow yourself 1 snack that takes a lot of energy to eat like edamame or raw, unsalted almonds. It keeps your hands busy and you'll get that urge to eat out of the way.

Whatever you do make sure that you allot enough calories into your allowance so that you can snack and not go over your daily limit. And try to snack on veggies or protein. Sugar and salt are both bad becuz your body will just store it while you sleep.

Hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    In the beginning, I would save a few hundred calories specifically for my night time snacking - if you plan for it, you lower the risk of going over. As I ate healthier foods throughout the day, I found myself snacking less at night because I was more satisfied, so I don't save calories for this purpose, anymore.

Also - if you are snacking when you're not hungry, you are doing this out of habit, and you need to break it. Replace unhealthy habits with habits that will support your healthier lifestyle. There were times that I had to leave my house and walk around the block several times just to get away from my kitchen and pantry! I have also read a book, done jumping jacks or push ups, played a video game, called a friend just to chat, etc...

If I am feeling a little hungry in the evening and I don't have calories left to eat, I will drink a pot of green tea. It usually settles my stomach and by the time I finish it I am not hungry anymore. Eating lots of protein and fiber throughout the day will help you feel less hungry at night.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking water when I feel hungry now at night and boy does it help! But if you ABSOLUTELY need to eat something, i suggested caramel chocolate chip rice cakes. SOOO yummy and healthy for you too!