ankle injury right before 5k

Options
So I am all signed up and paid up to run my very first 5k this Friday. I have been faithfully training for 3 months. Went out for a run last Thursday and sprained my ankle. I am so bummed:( Ok, so there is another run the end of April and hopefully I will be ok to run that one. But my question is, should I still go to this run on Friday? ? Not to try and run the race, because that is impossible.

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I would attend but you need to get that ankle healed up, rest, ice, compression, elevation and then alternate between a hot bath of epsom salts and baking soda in water, then iced and elevated it will heal faster, also add in a lil extra protein for rebuilding. Once you can walk on it again massage the tendons so that they do not heal short on you.
  • sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no all around, but you did not mention the severity of your ankle sprain. Swollen? Redness? Pain? Ability to bear weight? Ankle sprains can be tricky, since we obviously spend so much time on our feet, it doesn't always allow the healing to take place the way it should. My advice would be to sit this run out. I would also Rest, Ice, Compress, and Elevate your ankle. Hope you get well quickly!
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    no way
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    As a chronic ankle sprainer I say take it easy. You can make it worse and even fracture it, which will put you out even longer. I've sprained mine 8 times (The most recent time 4 weeks ago), and each time it gets harder and harder to heal because I don't give the time it needs to heal.
  • flash53
    flash53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know how bad your ankle is but I would wait till your next race. When I used to run when I was younger I ran through the pain of sprains but later the injury lasted longer than it should. Take the rest and wait till the next race. If you wait till tommorow and see how your ankle feels maybe you can still walk the race.