Healthy Tasty Foods You May Not Know About

Options
Hi guys, I thought an interesting discussion might be about foods that you eat that are really tasty and healthy (or not that many calories) that people might not know about, as a way of discovering new foods.

A few of my favorites:
-Morningstar anything. I'm a vegetarian, and as many will tell you, Morningstar is one of the very best companies out there. They're in your frozen foods section at every grocery store, but they do run a bit pricey (at least for me the typical college student). A box is normally 3-4 ish dollars. But there are so many options and veggie is so so so SO much healthier than meat. My favorites are the "chicken" nuggets, (they one a chef's best award, the rock!) and the "chicken" patties which make awesome sandwiches on hamburger buns with cheese. Really though, all their stuff is delicious.
-Frozen Yogurt. Any kind really will do, and it satisfies just like ice cream, with less guilt after. A lot of places are getting more and more frozen yogurt places. My favorite is Fresh Berry, absolutely delicious.

I have a few more, but I want to here from other people, I'm looking to expand my range of tasty healthy foods.

Replies

• jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    Fiber Plus Chocolate Chip Eggos. So many vitamins. Protein. Fiber. Chocolate. GLORIOUS. Plus, easy to make in my mini breakfast machine in my dorm. :) I'm not a vegetarian, but the dining hall has the spicy black bean veggie burgers, and they're so much better than the meat ones!
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! I haven't had Morningstar Farms products in a couple years but with all the buzz about them on this website, I think I'm going to have to pick up a box soon.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    morningstar has a lot of sodium and not much protein for the calories. there are other vegetarian options for nutrition, but the mushroom ones are pretty tasty.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Here are my favorites:
    bear naked fit granola (lowest in sugar in granola that i have found),
    carbmaster yogurt (at Kroger, very low in sugar),
    Skinny cow dark chocolate truffles (100 calories and less sugar than other ice cream products),
    Blue Diamond 100 calorie packs,( they have different flavors but my favorite is Cocoa roasted dark chocolate, they also only have 20 g of sodium)
    Vitamuffins (100 calorie and TONS of fiber and proteins) , they also have other types of vitastuff)
    Green Giant vegetabble steamers
    Sugar free jello products such as pudding
  • JennyRosa
    Options
    I have something that I have completely fallen in love with!! Chobani Greek Yogurt. All the flavors out there are delicious! And Greek Yogurt is really good for your metabolisim. I am not a breakfast kind of girl, or even a yogurt kind of girl, but this has been working for me, I even eat it in the car on my way to work or school :) you can find it in the organic section of your grocery store.....definately worth a try! let me know what you think if you decide to try it :)
  • MrsFerrare
    Options
    The Special K Crack Chips in Sea Salt flavor tastes just like Munchos chips! And you can have 30 chips and it's only one serving
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    bump
  • chelle1a
    chelle1a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • CharityShantell
    CharityShantell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll play! I'm really interested to see what people come up with. I'm not sure how common or obscure these are, but here goes:

1) Greek Yogurt - Extra Creamy & Dense and more protein than normal yogurt

The premium brands are Fage, Oikos, Chobani, Etc. But now I'm finding that Dannon Greek is 1/2 the price and really just as good. I'm willing to give Yoplait Greek another try, but the first time I tried it I was sure that they should have their "Greek card" revoked. So I wouldn't try Yoplait for the first Greek option you ever eat. I feel bad for disparaging them in case they already improved it, but seriously - it was no different than regular yogurt.

2) Oskri Cashews & Cranberry Bars

I buy these at www.amazon.com. Each bar only has 140 calories, 3 grams sugar and TWELVE grams fiber! If I'm low on fiber and want a tasty sweet and healthy treat, this is it. I buy them by the case! Vegan, Organic, Gluten free. Just awesome. The best 12 grams of fiber you will ever eat. Watch out because not ALL Oskri bars have 12 grams fiber. Check the stats.

3) Flatout Wraps - The light version has 9 grams fiber and only 90 calories.

I toast them flat by themselves in my toaster oven and they turn nice and crisp (turning over a couple times while toasting). Then I put sauce, toppings and cheese and bake again. Low cal, low carb, high fiber pizza!

4) Pure Protein Bars - Chocolate Peanut Butter Is the Best (200 cals, 20 Grams Protein, only TWO grams sugar!

I have to be very mobile so I can't always do protein shakes or powder. I've tried so many protein bars but none are this low in sugars and this chewy and tasty. They are also cost effective if you buy a box of 6 at Target or Walmart or almost anywhere.

5) Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk

Because this beverage has only 2 grams sugar (There are 12 grams simple sugars in 1 cup of skim milk), I use it in coffee instead of milk or cream. I don't use soy milk because some say women should limit their intake of soy.

I think I'll leave it at 5 for now. Looking forward to seeing other posts!
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I love the Fiber Plus fiber bars in the coconut caramel chocolate flavor. Taste just like a samoa girl scout cookie & they're only 120 calories and a ton of fiber! I actually have to be careful keeping em in the house cuz they're soo good I want more than one!
  • maiwata
    maiwata Posts: 1
    Options
    Try drink a cup of warm water (100-120F) in the morning, before a meal, and before going to bed. Make sure to take 10 min to drink a cup! I explained 4 benefits of drinking warm water in twitter! Follow me (maiwata54) to see many tips to be healthy and beautiful!
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Oikos Greek Yogurt. Fat free, organic, low lactose, high in protein. They also have mini packs with fruit an flavors on the bottom like honey and caramel. It totally satisfies my cravings for something sweet and only being about 100 calories.
  • 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    HOMEMADE KALE CHIPS!!! YUM!
  • glendacurrin
    glendacurrin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jello Temptations Mousse-Chocolate mint...only 60 calories!
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    There's an awful lot of processed stuff going on, on this thread. :-/

I'll grant that Morningstar is tasty, and healthier than some other boxed prepped food (I was veg for years, and they pretty much lined my freezer), but a breaded, empty cal, sodium loaded, vegetarian item is not healthier than a fresh, lean, nutrient rich serving of meat.

To add some items though:

Kefir! Especially homemade, and then blended up with a bit of raw honey, a banana, and some strawberries.

Ezekiel sprouted grain bread

Pirates Booty cheddar puffs

Kombucha (mmm, guava goddess is delicious!)
  • 1111renee
    Options

I'll grant that Morningstar is tasty, and healthier than some other boxed prepped food (I was veg for years, and they pretty much lined my freezer), but a breaded, empty cal, sodium loaded, vegetarian item is not healthier than a fresh, lean, nutrient rich serving of meat.

BUMP
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I love the Fiber Plus fiber bars in the coconut caramel chocolate flavor. Taste just like a samoa girl scout cookie & they're only 120 calories and a ton of fiber! I actually have to be careful keeping em in the house cuz they're soo good I want more than one!

I LOVE these!!! I buy 2 boxes every time I grocery shop. Lol!
  • CharityShantell
    Options

How do you prepare your kale chips? I just use a bit of olive oil, mrs dash and some Kraft parmesean and massage the raw kale. Then I bake at 250 until dry. Do you do something yummier?
    One time I actually did the whole "nutritional yeast, cashew paste" thing and dehydrated. MAN was that messy. But delicious. :o)
  • 1111renee
    Options

How do you prepare your kale chips? I just use a bit of olive oil, mrs dash and some Kraft parmesean and massage the raw kale. Then I bake at 250 until dry. Do you do something yummier?
    One time I actually did the whole "nutritional yeast, cashew paste" thing and dehydrated. MAN was that messy. But delicious. :o)

spray with olive oil, then I add sea salt....................OR I add any flavor of Mrs. Dash to them............ l like the Chipotle :)
  • CharityShantell
    Options

I think you're going to see more prepared or processed foods on a thread like this because the question was "Foods You May Not Know About".

We all know about raw, whole, natural foods like meat, vegetables, fruits, etc.
    :bigsmile: