Salty sweat = salty dinner?

Options
Samerah12
Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
So, maybe I'm completely off base on this, but shouldn't you be increasing your salt intake if you're exercising a lot? You're sweating out all your electrolytes, shouldn't you be eating more to compensate?

I'm just curious why my sodium never budges from 2,500 even if I've done 3 hours of cardio that day. That just seems wrong to me.

Thoughts?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Well, not everyone sweats the same, so that would be a hard thing to compensate for.
  • Samerah12
    Options
    Well, not everyone sweats the same, so that would be a hard thing to compensate for.

True, but MFP is all about guesses. Not everybody has the same metabolism or body shape or type. Not everybody burns as many calories doing this or that activity...
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you are super low on sodium all the time. The thing I have to watch out for is potassium as if I don't eat some potassium rich foods regularly I'll cramp up while cycling.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You should never be purposely putting more sodium into your body. Eating a healthy diet will keep you at an appropriate electrolyte balance, even if you're exercising. The exception would be if you're a professional athlete, or someone who works out intensely for hours at a time. Your body excretes excess salt and toxins through sweat - don't go purposely putting it back in! Just eat healthy :smile:
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Ps, how come you're doing 3 hours of cardio a day? Strength training would be very beneficial to you... that much cardio puts a strain on your muscles, which will deteriorate if you don't build them back up! Be careful! :drinker:
  • Samerah12
    Options
    Even if you're not a professional athlete for activities like long hikes and backpacking it is definitely important to replace your electrolytes. Thats why they make drinks like gatorade and granola bars are so salty... I would assume working out at the gym would be the same story. I'm just not sure why MFP doesn't compensate for it.

You should never be purposely putting more sodium into your body. Eating a healthy diet will keep you at an appropriate electrolyte balance, even if you're exercising. The exception would be if you're a professional athlete, or someone who works out intensely for hours at a time. Your body excretes excess salt and toxins through sweat - don't go purposely putting it back in! Just eat healthy :smile:
  • Samerah12
    Options
    3 hours is my big day of the week. I've worked up to it, its not that big a deal. Its also spread out throughout the day, not 3 hours straight. I also do strength training. Just not on the same day.
    Ps, how come you're doing 3 hours of cardio a day? Strength training would be very beneficial to you... that much cardio puts a strain on your muscles, which will deteriorate if you don't build them back up! Be careful! :drinker:
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you are super low on sodium all the time. The thing I have to watch out for is potassium as if I don't eat some potassium rich foods regularly I'll cramp up while cycling.

I have the exact same problem. I get really terrible leg cramps on a bike if I don't eat enough potassium.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt eat a salty dinner, i would drink a powerade or a little pickle jiuce.. and alot of water
  • Samerah12
    Options
    i wouldnt eat a salty dinner, i would drink a powerade or a little pickle jiuce.. and alot of water

Ha! I hadn't thought of pickle juice! Thanks! I really hate those sports drinks but pickle juice... pickle juice I could handle.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I take electrolyte replacement during my exercise. I don't like the sugar or phony sugar in sports drinks so I take S Caps. I take an SCap every hour during my run. Of course, this is usually only once a week on my long runs. I don't worry about it on my weekday runs as I usually don't run over an hour.

I believe strongly in replacing those electrolytes!! When you hear about people hitting the wall, it's usually due to lack of electrolytes and proper fuel. Stay away from packaged and processed foods and your sodium intake will be just fine.

MTA: I just take water with me on the runs, an scap and some shot blocks for fuel
  • Samerah12
    Options
    I take electrolyte replacement during my exercise. I don't like the sugar or phony sugar in sports drinks so I take S Caps. I take an SCap every hour during my run. Of course, this is usually only once a week on my long runs. I don't worry about it on my weekday runs as I usually don't run over an hour.

Thanks! I'll look into that. My friend runs marathons and I remember her mentioning something similar, goo I think?
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Goo's are a fuel, not an electrolyte replacement. You need both when you work out more than an hour. My schedule is fuel every 45 mins (usually 100cal) and an Scap at 60 mins. I eat a simple carbs like shot blocks or sport beans. I can't stand Goo's, they are gross!!! Somtimes I can handle a Zbar for really long runs (usually over 15, cuz I get super hungry)