Thunder thighs!

Options
I've always joked about my legs and called them thunder thighs, but after my recent weight gain, I'm afraid I've actually gotten there! When I was about 13 I got stretch marks on the inside of my thighs and was completely horrified, even though it was due to muscle growth from playing soccer.

Now, almost 6 years later, I still have those old stretch marks and some new ones in my inner thighs. Not only that, but the back of my thighs have accumulated cellulite (UGH, don't you just hate that?!).

I'm wondering if anyone has any awesome thigh muscle exercises. I know I can work my quads and hamstrings for the front and back of my thighs, but I have a weird fixation on my inner thighs right now. That darn inner leg fat is just annoying!

Replies

• mbasham369
    Options
    Ugh, I know, same here. I do lunges, but that is for the outer thigh muscle, and boy do I feel it! Is there even a muscle to tone in the inner thigh? LOL! The two sides of my leg feel completely different, the outer side is hard as a rock and the other inner side is squishy :S

A exercise would help, peps! Anyone?
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Just look up on-line. Hip adductor exercises and hip abductor exercises. These will work your inner and outer thighs.

These will adductors are your inner thighs specifically, but remember you cannot spot reduce on any area. It is an all over workout that will help. That being said-strength training is the way to go. You will get rid of more fat that way!!

Okay I see everyone promoting cardio. Cardio is awesome if you want things like a lower resting heart rate or low blood pressure or better VO2 max. However with strength training you burn more sitting around. With cardio you have a steady burn that ends as soon as you are done working out. Plus muscle doesn't like fat on it. So STRENGTH TRAIN. I am a fitness professional who just got done taking a exercise physiology class. I know this is true. I also have learned that endurance cardio holds on to fat for energy. You can still be lean, but will always have a higher body fat percentage as someone who is strength training. It is science and has been proven!!
  • bodsmack7958
    bodsmack7958 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to get rid of fat in a certain area...all I can say is cardio. I know, I know. I hate it too. However, it's the soundproof way to lose fat in any area. Sadly.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    you can get these wierd little things that look like two foam triangles connected with a hinge... stick one of them between your legs and squeeze the heck out of it! they cost under 10 dollars at walmart.
  • loveandprideforever
    loveandprideforever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First of all, I totally understand the "thunder thigh" issue. That's where I hold my weight primarily too (although I have luckily been blessed by relatively even weight distribution my entire life...side note). Second of all, the stretch marks just have to fade. Thirdly, to gain definition, that is CARDIO...not strength or muscle exercises. As you burn fat off of your body, cellulite will be less noticeable as well as your muscles becoming closer to the surface and being more defined.

On a side note, as you work on your cardio to attack the problem you seem to be having...leg lifts are great. You can lie on your back and lift your legs straight in the air alternately, this will work your core as well as your quads. Additionally, yoga poses often teach the muscles in your legs to work well, also mainly quads. The hamstrings can be targeted by "kick-backs" (on all fours, kicking your leg to extend straight behind you alternately with 10-12 reps to each side, then switch) and also what I call "Superman/Half-Supermans" (lie on your stomach and lift your arms away out in front of you and up while also lifting your legs straight behind you up to form sort of a cresent moon with your body when looked at from the side -only your abs should be touching and the ends of your body are lifted up-, or leave your arms perched beneath you and only lift your legs...that's the half-superman).

I hope this helps and if you need/want anymore tips or trade secrets, let me know!! I'd be glad to help!
  • sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have inner thigh muscles, they are called your adductors. You have 5 of them. If you go to a gym, they should have machines that target specifically those muscles, and the outer hip muscles, known as your abductors.

The adductor muscles help with stabilization and make it easier to perform lunges, squats and other exercises that require good balance.
  • myrabarlow
    Options
    Stretch, Cardio, Stretch, Stretch Stretch and Cardio!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Ugghh... I know I'm starting to get some muscle tone on my outer thighs and I am hoping that my inner thighs will catch up sooner or later.
  • NittyGrittyBritty
    NittyGrittyBritty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do Pilates or ballet-esque squats! Put your heels together and toes out in a V shape and bend your knees outward while keeping your tail bone tucked under, no sticking your butt out like a regular squat, just stay upright. I believe this is called a Plie --> Pleee-ay, excuse my French. (I am not a dancer!) Look in a mirror while doing it because its a very typical ballerina pose. It also helps to balance by holding onto something at first but as you get better, relying on your own balance skills just adds to the core workout. Also intensify this by lifting heels off the ground (one at a time or both at a time)

Also, lay on your back, knees bent and holding a ball just above your knee joint (a bender ball is perfect, google it if you don't know what it is but anything similar will work too). Lift your hips off the ground so your torso forms about a 45 degree angle with the floor and squeeze the ball.

Do these until your muscles fatigue (and i mean shake! Shaking muscles are good! Just dont hurt yourself!!)
    Both of these are great for your inner thighs!