Green Smoothies

Options
Just wanted to talk about green smoothies a little bit. I have been drinking them and have noticed improved energy and a less irritated digestive system. I make my green smoothies with kale, spinach, chard, romaine, or any other greens that look good at the time. I also add some type of fruit to it to reduce the bitterness and add smoothness. Protein powder is another good thing to add to help balance out the carbs and to help you burn fuel. You should also add water to your ingredients and ice makes it taste even better. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I tried a recipe that called for kale, beets and strawberries with a pinch of ground flax. Supposed to be a great blood cleanser! Do you use a food processor or a blender?

:)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I actually make green Juice myself. I use a juicer and juice all of those yummy greens with a beet, carrots, ginger and an apple or pear. Of course my veggies change regularly but I too add a fruit, like an apple or pear as well has half a lime or lemon. I have mae some YUMMY detox juices and fruit or veggie juices too. Green juice or green smoothies are GREAT for a post workout recovery drink with some spuralina, protein powder, flax or with some egg whites on the side. The opportunities are endless :-D
    the site that got me started.......
    http://www.prolificliving.com/blog/2009/04/13/favorite-green-juice-recipes

Any of the juicing recipes a can be blended too :-D YUM!!!
    http://www.juicing-for-health.com/juicer-recipes.html
    http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/recipes/juices/whole-green-juice-recipes/
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I actually make green Juice myself. I use a juicer and juice all of those yummy greens with a beet, carrots, ginger and an apple or pear. Of course my veggies change regularly but I too add a fruit, like an apple or pear as well has half a lime or lemon. I have mae some YUMMY detox juices and fruit or veggie juices too. Green juice or green smoothies are GREAT for a post workout recovery drink with some spuralina, protein powder, flax or with some egg whites on the side. The opportunities are endless :-D

Shawnalee, it seriously blows my mind how much of your own random stuff you make. Here I thought I was a kitchen-whiz/non-processed food eater, but you juice, make protein bars, almond milk...etc. etc. etc. It's inspiring..I hope to find a balance and the time in my work week to be as food conscious as you are.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

Shawnalee, it seriously blows my mind how much of your own random stuff you make. Here I thought I was a kitchen-whiz/non-processed food eater, but you juice, make protein bars, almond milk...etc. etc. etc. It's inspiring..I hope to find a balance and the time in my work week to be as food conscious as you are.
    You are so sweet. I used to think it was REALLY hard to get it all in... but honestly it takes 20 min MAX to clean, prep, juice and wash the juicer. I don't juice as often as I would like to. :( I try and shoot for at least 2x a week. For a few weeks i was juicing after my workouts EVERYDAY, that got tough. The almond milk takes 15 min ish and it makes enough to enjoy for a few days. Yogurt cheese takes long enough to pour the yogurt into a cheese cloth and strainer... perfect cream cheese replacement by morning :-D It makes me feel accomplished to know that I was involved in the process of my food instead of not knowing the process... I am no where near perfect, for sure! Some days are really hard, but I plan as far ahead as possible and I also keep safe things in the house so i know I have something wholesome and quality to fill a meal if need be. Well except that DAMN dark chocolate that is haunting me in my freezer! haha ;)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I tried a recipe that called for kale, beets and strawberries with a pinch of ground flax. Supposed to be a great blood cleanser! Do you use a food processor or a blender?

Are you expecting a baby?! Congrats to you! Green smoothies are an amazing addition to the lucky babies growth! Props to you!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Are you expecting a baby?! Congrats to you! Green smoothies are an amazing addition to the lucky babies growth! Props to you!

Aww, yes, yes I am. Thank you! :)
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any with parsley yet?
    My favourite is coconut water, flat parsley, watermelon, strawberries and some fresh lemon juice and 1 T flaxseed.
    It's very refreshing.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    all but the parsley sounds delish! I don't even like parsley with my food, lol. Weird i know. But it is one of the few flavors i don't like. A good substitute with those other flavors would be fennel. Yum! :-D
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    all but the parsley sounds delish! I don't even like parsley with my food, lol. Weird i know. But it is one of the few flavors i don't like. A good substitute with those other flavors would be fennel. Yum! :-D

lol ... yeah I know it isn't everyone's favorite. :happy:
    I tried dandelion leaves and that was just too bitter.
    I'll have to give the fennel a try.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I use chard, spinach, carrot and beet grees, kale, dandelion, endive, red leaf and ice burg....not all at once but mixing up varieties. Yummy with a granny smith apple. :)
  • mssweetiec
    Options
    I love green smoothies. At first I tried it with kale, now I have switched to spinach. I drink once a day. I have noticed increased energy and bowel regularity (TMI)
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!

This is what I use:

2 cups of spinach
    1 cup of Coconut Milk or Almond Milk
    1/2 cup of coconut water
    1/2 Greek Yogurt
    1 1/2 cups of frozen fruit