This is just so darn hard

Options
Almost 17 years ago I lost my mother to Congestive Heart Failure as a result of being morbidly obese. I am not sure but she must have weighed over 400 pounds. One would think after seeing the results first hand of being overweight that I would make better choices. But guess what......I am addicted to food. And the things that I crave are not veggies, fruit, or other healthy food. No, I crave fast food, pastries, and about any kind of junk food out there. I have lost weight so many times and been within 5 pounds of my goal weight probably 5 times. Last year I did a challenge at the gym and did amazing. My eating and exercise was spot on. I went from a size 16 to a size 8. Guess what, after the challenge ended I took a break and the break has been extended for months. Every day I say that I will start tomorrow. And I just can't do it. I still exercise every day but the eating is out of control. I have done Jenny Craig, Weight Watches, Atkins, blah, blah, blah. I just wish there was something that would make me feel full and make me quit obsessing about food 24/7.

Replies

• vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's not about a fad diet or about someone preparing all your food for you. It is about a lifestyle change. You will never keep weight off by doing a fad diet.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I completely feel your pain! Ever since I had kids, my oldest is 7... youngest are twins 18months... I never lost the weight with my first... and yes I LOVE food, it's the hardest thing ever, I know what I like and I'm not one to eat fruits and veggi's hardly ever... and I'm only now getting a little better at drinking water.

With that said, the one thing I've noticed about me is, if I'm taking my all natural vitamins (nutrilite) like I should I have less cravings and I kinda feel fuller... as well as taking a all natural supplement called slimmetry, it curbs my appetite and helps me eat less!

If you want more info or have other questions, just message me... and I hope you find a way to sticking to your goals, befriend me and we can motivate each other :) I have the same struggles, especially late at night, when my hubby is working, sometimes he's on day shift which is easier for me to control my hunger, but late at night is where it gets me! Drink lots of water, especially before meals at least a cup, drink some right when you get out of bed, and before bed as well! Water will also help you feel fuller longer!
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have seen people pass away from health related issues but I still made the same choices! But now I just take it one day at a time, and if I screw up today I don't let it affect tomorrow! Also like you I'm addicted to fast food and I was the person who had it every day, and the other day I watched a video on you tube about mcdonalds food and how it didn't change texture after four years, so that grossed me out and I got tired of spending the $ I was spending on easing out. Tonight I wanted a sandwich from cracker barrrel so instead I went and bought all the ingredients similar yup it and made it at hinge for a healthier version, and alot less calories! Its all about making small changes!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    It's not about a fad diet or about someone preparing all your food for you. It is about a lifestyle change. You will never keep weight off by doing a fad diet.

agreed!

this is about a life style one you can maintain. You do that through learning and trial and error. fads may be a beginning point, but they are not an end game if you want to do this the rest of your life. You gotta learn how to cook, prep and what fuels your body the best. this site is a good guide and tool to do that and you have the support and help that comes with it to be successful.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I agree with this whole heartedly! My journey now, isn't about a diet, it's a lifestyle change... it has to be. Once you get used to eating the stuff you don't really care for like the fruits/vegi's soon enough your body will crave them. If you are going to eat something you know you shouldn't just have a little, or drink lots of water, and exercise... then see how you feel about eating the 'bad' stuff :)
  • mommac73
    mommac73 Posts: 3
    Options
    MY MOM GETS A DAILY EMAIL FROM LYSA TERKEURST FROM HER "MADE TO CRAVE" PROGRAM THAT HELPED ME TO OPEN MY OWN EYES AND TURN THE CORNER. I HAVE COPY AND PASTED IT BELOW. I HOPE IT CAN HELP YOU AS MUCH AS IT DID ME!! HAPPY READING!

But what if I let God down?
    More Recent Articles
    Search Lysa TerKeurst

But what if I let God down?
    “Lysa, one of my greatest fears in reading Made to Crave is not just letting myself down, but even worse, letting God down.”
    I understand.
    When you’ve circled this issue as many times as I have, you start to feel gun shy about trying again. I’d loose the weight, feel great for a couple of months, deceive myself into thinking I could return to old habits, and all the weight would creep back on. I’d failed at finding lasting victory with every other attempt. Even with programs I thought were the sure thing. So, why would this one be any different?
    And why in heavens would I want to add spiritual guilt on top of my physical guilt? And why would I risk the shame of making God look bad too?
    Guilt wrapped in shame is a terrible burden to carry. Guilt always came when internally I knew I was making poor choices and could see the scale numbers climbing. Shame came when externally it became apparent to everyone else in the world.
    It’s awful to battle something so raw, so deeply personal, with outside indications apparent to everyone else. Yes, the physical struggle was hard enough. I certainly didn’t want to drag down my spiritual life with this struggle as well.
    But here’s the problem with that- my weight issues were dragging me down physically and spiritually, whether I admitted it or not. When I don’t have peace physically, I don’t have peace spiritually. I can’t separate the two. Nor should I. I need spiritual motivation to step in where my physical determination falls short.
    So, I started reading the Bible from the perspective of someone struggling with food issues. Though I had read the Bible many times and have even taught Bible studies for years, I’d missed how much God cares about and talks about this issue. Tucked within this Book written thousands of years ago, were some of the most astounding, life-changing, and applicable truths to this modern day epidemic with women.
    I wept with joy. I wept with relief. I wept as I realized this would be one of the most significant spiritual journeys of my life. A spiritual journey that would yield great physical benefits. And what about my concerns with letting God down?
    My pastor put that to rest one day with a simple but very profound truth, “How can you let God down when you weren’t ever holding Him up?”
    I had to choose to operate in the reassurance of God’s love, the remembrance of God’s grace, and the reality of God’s power. And according to Isaiah 41:10, God’s the one holding me up, not the other way around. Amen.
    ‘Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10
  • pssqrd
    pssqrd Posts: 4
    Options
    It is hard, but no one can really tell you what to do. You kind of have to decide for yourself & when you are ready, you will turn on the switch & go, But I am very similar to you in that I am goal driven. I can at least give you a tip that has helped me. When you have a goal, like the contest you were in, you then need to back it up with another goal. Never stop with the one goal. So when I pick a race or event I want to enter & I want to train for, I make sure I have the next event or race picked out to follow it. I try to do something whether it is something small (like a 5k) or something big (like a marathon or the avon walk) at least once a year. by having events or goals set, then I train for them & that keeps my workouts going and my desire to eat healthier follows. The other thing that helps me is about once a year I go on some type of cleanse diet. I only like the ones that include food but it is generally high protein, veggies & fruit and lots of water with cranberrry juice, basically. I do it for 2 weeks & what I like about them, is it gives my body a clean start & I am more careful about what I put back into it.
  • bburson
    bburson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who joined a 12 step program for eating addictions, and he is totally committed to it, 2 yrs later. Overeaters Anonymous, I think. This might help you too.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I ate fast food everyday too. Mcdonalds mostly. I got up to 325 at heaviest. 3weeks ago I was 314 and now I'm 300. I got tired of spending all my money on it, plus it not filling me for long. I make homemade french fries now, and make my own burgers. I make my own tacos and burritos. Or fried chicken. Or whatever I want.
    The first week is hard cuz ur body needs adjusting but this is so easy now I'm having trouble eating my 1800calories. Yesterday I had 900calories left, today 600...and I eat a lot. Today I went out for dinner and had roast beef on a french roll. I'm way over on fat and sodium today and normally I do good on fat. Its not about eating only veggies and fruit. Its about eating what u enjoy in moderation.

I go out drinking 2x a week lately, sumtimes 3, and go out to eat 1x or 2. As long as I stick within my calories its ok.. all n moderation.

I look at something and say "for that many calories I could have this and be fuller".

This is not a fad diet. Its a liife change. There's no stopping once u get to ur goal, u need to maintain. U don't need perfection, just enough of a change to live both lifes, if that's what u want. Instead of going out once a day, go out once a week. Make small changes to start and eventually it will be a rythum to do the right thing without thinking
  • mommac73
    mommac73 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thought for the Day: Eating in its proper context is not the problem. God gave us food for nourishment, strength, and even celebration. But when pleasure becomes unrestrained, there’s a problem.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I forgot who said this (Jillian Michaels?)

Being Fat is Hard
    Losing Weight is Hard
    Choose your Hard.

GG
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have been doing this for 7 weeks now and lost some weight, but it's a constant struggle.

First of all: You're NOT addicted to food. You're addicted to simple carbohydrates. (The whole country is.) Simple sugars have replaced everything, and combined with greasy foods, they make a terrible love potion. You need to change your food, your environment and your self talk. No matter HOW MANY TIMES you've started and quit, realize this:

You are here.
    You are logging calories.
    You are sharing your emotions.
    You are working towards a healthier life.

Set a calorie goal. Set weight goals. Create an environment that supports these goals and do it.

Like pinkgigi said above: Choose your hard. It will be hard to do this, but it's easier than the alternative.