General Blah

Options
Hard to concentrate on my health when we have such rotten finances. Anyone else have an out of control electric bill this winter? We are in the smallest house and don't watch a lot of tv or other huge power sucking things, yet we've been over $500/month - our high used to be a $350 just in Jan, and under $100 most of the rest of the year. I can't sleep right now because I'm afraid our power is going to get cut before we can pay enough towards the bill and I have a kid here with pneumonia. This sucks.

Replies

• squimother1
    squimother1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    it sure does am. i am so sorry to hear about your little one. not sure where you live but australians are struggling along with the rest of the world. thinking of you.
  • squimother1
    squimother1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    BTW - good luck!
  • _LA_
    _LA_ Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks. Sitting here waiting till business hours open to call them and at least find out what the shutoff date is. Online I can tell the last bill was due two days ago and that was already an over-due. I got a paper bill in the mail that I didn't open yet and I can't *find* it and so of course I can't sleep now looking for it to see if there was a date in there. This is so not my life I'm living.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    Firstly, your doing the right thing, not just calling them to see when its due, let them know you have a problem paying, and explain the circumstances of your little one, most companies have policies in place for people who are struggling to pay! and may let you pay less, then work off the balance when it gets warmer. Some even have a cheaper rate if you are struggling, be honest with them,

i hope it all works out for you.
  • _LA_
    Options
    here you can only prevent a winter shutoff if you are in a government program (for low income), which we're not. can definitely do a payment plan but they won't start that without a sizeable amount down, and we can't even give them a quarter of that till payday - which is over a week from now. but till they open i won't know anything for sure.
  • _LA_
    Options
    well, apparently we're not as late as I thought. which is good! now i just have to get my son healthy...and I really need to make time somewhere in here for exercise today, felt like a slug yesterday for not getting any in!