Dead lifts

Options
I got a circuit training routine from a personal trainer and she said that all of the moves can be done without any equipment. One of the moves is a dead lift, and when I looked it up online all of the pictures showed people lifting some sort of weights or barbell. So my question is, how do you do a dead lift without anything to lift?

Replies

• Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If a personal trainer gave you the idea that you can deadlift *without* any weight, I'd recommend changing personal trainers. :tongue:

All forms of it require some sort of weight to pull, and unlike the squat, there's no bodyweight version.
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    The basics of the movement stay the same .... you can just substitute anything with some weight if you don't have a barbell. Dumbells work great also.
  • LMac423
    LMac423 Posts: 82
    Options
    You definitely need weight for a deadlift...kind of crazy that he suggested it without. I don't even get how that would be beneficial!
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I got the routine at this International Women's Day conference that I attended for work and the personal trainer gave a presentation and gave us the routine. I didn't actually speak with her personally so I couldn't ask about it. I will look into finding stuff around my house that I can lift. I do have a bowling ball.... maybe that will work. I'm just worried that I'm going to do it wrong and end up hurting my back.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    If a personal trainer gave you the idea that you can deadlift *without* any weight, I'd recommend changing personal trainers. :tongue:

All forms of it require some sort of weight to pull, and unlike the squat, there's no bodyweight version.

agreed!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah a big "WTF" there.

Its only done with weight. Dumbbells or Barbell.
    the bowling bowl you mentioned though got me thinking straight away.

you could do sumo deadlifts with the bowling ball i reckon. Its all about form with this exercise...and best to get someone to show you and spot you etc, or watch a million videos like i did.

You could also do front squats with the bowling ball...hrmm...where by you would hold the ball in the "clean" position, and squat from there...wouldnt want to drop it though.... lol.
  • wrn1979
    wrn1979 Posts: 27
    Options
    yeah a big "WTF" there.

Its only done with weight. Dumbbells or Barbell.
    the bowling bowl you mentioned though got me thinking straight away.

you could do sumo deadlifts with the bowling ball i reckon. Its all about form with this exercise...and best to get someone to show you and spot you etc, or watch a million videos like i did.

You could also do front squats with the bowling ball...hrmm...where by you would hold the ball in the "clean" position, and squat from there...wouldnt want to drop it though.... lol.

How about goblet squats with the bowling bowl. Hold it with both hands in front of you like you're gazing into a crystal ball, flare your knees out a little, your elbows will tell you when you've gone deep enough, then stand up.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    When I 1st started working out, I did deadlifts with no weights. And it was enough. You are lifting the weight of your body. And for some of us, that is ample.

Question: Why do you have a personal trainer if you aren't going to take his advice? He might have a whole plan for you to progress.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I do dead lifts with no weight for my booty shaping
    U need to stand on one foot and bring ur arm down past ur knee
    Challenges ur balance and works!!
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I 1st started working out, I did deadlifts with no weights. And it was enough. You are lifting the weight of your body. And for some of us, that is ample.

Question: Why do you have a personal trainer if you aren't going to take his advice? He might have a whole plan for you to progress.
    She's not my personal trainer. She just gave a presentation at a meeting I attended. I liked the routine that she recommended so I decided to try it.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah go with WRN1979's goblet squat idea...or even better, squat thrusters!!!
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    deadlifts are awesome.. however..

a deadlift with no weight is ridiculous.. skip it..

if you are a beginner and do not have someone to show you proper form.. skip deadlifts all together please.. its so easy to screw up your back if you arent doing them correctly.