Anxiety

Options
I cant get back on track - i have anxiety every time i have to go work out. I ve been eating non stop at night. I cant seem to get control over myself im at work right now and im just so severely sad. I dont understand what is wrong with me. does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• LMG0511
    LMG0511 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    First, I want to say you are SO BRAVE for sharing this with us. Anxiety is a very real concern for millions of people, and oftentimes we think that 'Oh, it's just me" or that we are just overreacting.

Next, I want to state that our state of mind really influences how we eat. Stress obviously is a trigger for you (and for me!) and we turn to food for comfort. I try to tell myself that if food won't solve the problem, I shouldn't be using it as part of my solution.

Finally...what are you doing to combat this anxiety? Light exercise is a great way to relieve some of it....when you say you are anxious every time you have to work out- is this at home? The gym? Somewhere else? What about the exercise might be triggering you?

Taking time for yourself (even just 5 minutes), and reading, praying, meditating, breating, whatever you like- can help you center and get yourself balanced.

If this anxiety has been going on and is unrelenting- I would direct you to the nearest licensed counselor/psychologist in your area to further address.

Good luck, we are all pulling for you!
  • mbrotnitsky
    mbrotnitsky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can do this - take a deep breathe and just do it. Start small with every decision- choice- Don't think of the big picture just think of the MOMENT. Its all about choices. Do you choose to be healthy or NOT? Do you choose to exercise or sit on the couch and watch the world play while you get bigger and unhealther? ITS all up to you. Of course I have anxiety everyday, if I think of the long term and all the weight I have to lose I start to panic. If I just work on the moments and choices at hand - Whats happening right NOW.... The anxiety seems to dissiapate. YOU CAN DO THIS... START NOW. Wake up and be consicious of your choices dont let that voice in your head tell you anything else. YOU CAN DO THIS. I KNOW YOU CAN.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I would encourage you to seek a physician/counselor who can prescribe a med to assist you with your feelings of anxiety. I take meds to deal with anxiety and depression and am just so thankful they exist because my life was sad and miserable without them. It is okay to seek help. I will say it does take time to get the dosage correct so it is not a one time fix; be patient and be kind to yourself.
  • GoBanana76
    GoBanana76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding. Basically, I was going to go to a new gym today - not a real gym it is more like a bootcamp with just personal trainers. very intimate setting. I got up at 5 got there and sat in my car and i was too afraid to go in. I dont know why i do this to myself. i yo yo back and forth. Im motivated im not motivated im motivated im not motivated. i cant keep it consistent. I have been in great shape before i used to spin everyday right after work. but now after work i make a bunch of excuses not to go. i really cant seem to get ahold of myself. i have so many thoughts going through my head at one time.
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I completely sympathise with you, I suffer with binge eating disorder and it is completely tied to my emotions to how much I binge. When I was depressed / struggling with anxiety it was 100% worse, you eat to try and supress the emotion. You might want to do a bit of research and see if this rings any bells. I'd recommend speaking to your GP to see if they can suggest anything and the boards and friends I have made here have been a great support. I haven't learnt to control it completely, but my binges are far less frequent these days.

I know its a cliche, but you are not alone and will probably find some of the best support from others who are or have been in the same situation with you. Good luck!
  • GoBanana76
    GoBanana76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to the millions of voices in my head.....seriously..i mean im constantly feeling all these feelings. my bf tells me to take the feelings and emotions out and just do it but its not that easy for me.
    @mbrotnitsky: i totally understand about being in the moment. sometimes i do but its hard for me to MAINTAIN that way of thinking.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I think going to a doctor would be a good idea. I have found my anxiety has got worse since I started exercising a lot, not better as most people find. I am taking 200mg of 5HTP every night which helps my brain switch off and be able to sleep. You could try that, but I would suggest seeing a doctor first would be better as you sounds very down.
  • ERapp01
    ERapp01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Make one small reasonable change every week. No one gained their weight over night, so we need take our time in losing weight.

1) Drink more water.
    2) Don’t keep snacks in the house that don’t trigger binge eating
    3) Start working out with something you enjoy
    4) Cook more
    5) Eat more fruits and veggies
    6) Increase number of days you work out per week
    7) Increase time of work out
    8) Just get back on track, when you have a bad day