Strength Training vs Weight Bearing Exercise

Options
kent4j
kent4j Posts: 391 Member
I've read a lot of posts on the topic of muscle burning more calories and the need to strength train.I was wondering about strength training vs weight bearing exercise. Walking is supposed to be a weight bearing exercise (compared to swiming or some other exercises) and I'm sure I'm building muscle in my legs etc since I do a lot of interval/hill walking. I can not lift weights due to a back issue. Although it's not strenght training am I building enough muscle to burn extra calories? Or do you really need to lift weights to get that benefit. Just curious on this topic for those of us who can't do a lot of strength training.

Replies

• kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    Hey there, this is actually my field of study. Weight bearing just literally means bearing your OWN weight. like pushups it's weight bearing. if you can't bear your own weight then it's considered strength training because your building your strength and building muscle. As long as you are working different muscles you are strength training, if you can't lift weights try something around the house like a broom or canned foods. they're light and it saves you from buying something. OR if you would like to try buy a stability ball one of those inflatable giant balls and you can use that for strength training like crunches and pushups that takes some pressure off your back you can also use it to strength train your back, by lifting the ball over your head and leaning forward so your horizontal to the floor and back up.

I hope this helps!
  • jsdority
    jsdority Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Jeannine,
    Strength training is important for more reasons than just aesthetics. As we get older we lose bone density, musclle mass, etc. Strength training helps reduce both of these problems and also creates a nice physique u can't get with just cardio alone. I would solicit the help of a physical therapist to get some exercises u can do a) for your back and b) that you can do that won't hurt your back.
  • estepteau
    estepteau Posts: 146
    Options
    Building muscles definitely speeds up the weight loss because it increases your metabolism. Are you able to just lift some dumb bells to tone your arms? I know you said you have back issues. So am not sure if your body can handle it or not. Power Walking on incline is definitely good for buidling muscles for the your legs and thighs :)
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    Try using resistance bands.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Strength training does not require lifting weights. You can strength train using just your body weight. The difficulty with back problems is that they can be hard to work around. Your walking will likely not build a lot of muscle, but it will help maintain what you have.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information it really helps!