Exercises for people with limited mobility

Options
I noticed when reading posts, there are some people with bad knees or injuries. Here are some exercises that I found. I hope they will help.

Food & Fitness Advisor, Sept, 2006
These four exercises from the American Society on Aging "Exercise for Life!" are all designed to be performed seated in a chair (use a sturdy chair with no arms and a high back). Before you start, do 5-10 minutes of low-intensity activity to get your muscles warmed up and your body ready to exercise. Low-intensity activity can be walking or marching in place. Drink water before, during, and after you exercise.

Seated thigh flex (targets the hamstring muscles). Sit straight in the chair, breathe in. Move your foot backwards under the chair, ending on the ball of your foot, as you breathe out. (Only the knee joint moves.) Breathe in and return your leg to the starting position. Do 8-12 times with each leg.

Seated leg lifts (target quadriceps muscles). Sitting straight in the chair, put one leg in front of you, keep it bent at the knee slightly, and breathe in. Raise the leg one or two inches as you breathe out and squeeze your stomach. Breathe in and lower your leg back to the starting position. Do 8-12 times with each leg.

Seated chest stretch (targets shoulders, arms, and chest). Sit sideways on the chair. Hold both arms behind your back, lace your fingers together and breathe in. Slowly straighten your arms, turning your elbows inward as you breathe out and squeeze your stomach. Hold 10-30 seconds so you feel a gentle stretch in your shoulders and arms. Breathe in and relax your arms. Do 2-5 time

Seated chest press (targets shoulders, chest, and back of the upper arms). Start with your upper arms by your sides, elbows bent, palms down. Breathe out as you push your arms straight in front of you. Straighten your arms, but do not lock your elbows. Breathe in and return arms to the starting position. Repeat 8-12 times.

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I noticed when reading posts, there are some people with bad knees or injuries. Here are some exercises that I found. I hope they will help.

Food & Fitness Advisor, Sept, 2006
    These four exercises from the American Society on Aging "Exercise for Life!" are all designed to be performed seated in a chair (use a sturdy chair with no arms and a high back). Before you start, do 5-10 minutes of low-intensity activity to get your muscles warmed up and your body ready to exercise. Low-intensity activity can be walking or marching in place. Drink water before, during, and after you exercise.

Seated thigh flex (targets the hamstring muscles). Sit straight in the chair, breathe in. Move your foot backwards under the chair, ending on the ball of your foot, as you breathe out. (Only the knee joint moves.) Breathe in and return your leg to the starting position. Do 8-12 times with each leg.

Seated leg lifts (target quadriceps muscles). Sitting straight in the chair, put one leg in front of you, keep it bent at the knee slightly, and breathe in. Raise the leg one or two inches as you breathe out and squeeze your stomach. Breathe in and lower your leg back to the starting position. Do 8-12 times with each leg.

Seated chest stretch (targets shoulders, arms, and chest). Sit sideways on the chair. Hold both arms behind your back, lace your fingers together and breathe in. Slowly straighten your arms, turning your elbows inward as you breathe out and squeeze your stomach. Hold 10-30 seconds so you feel a gentle stretch in your shoulders and arms. Breathe in and relax your arms. Do 2-5 time

Seated chest press (targets shoulders, chest, and back of the upper arms). Start with your upper arms by your sides, elbows bent, palms down. Breathe out as you push your arms straight in front of you. Straighten your arms, but do not lock your elbows. Breathe in and return arms to the starting position. Repeat 8-12 times.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Thanks for thinking of us, I twisted my ankle last Sunday, and had two high cal splurge days (unavoidable LOL) during the week, any cardio ideas for us, rowing was one but I work out from home, no rowing machine....it is sad and frustrating becasue you really do (in my experience) need some good cardio to burn the calories.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    deanea,
    Sorry to hear about your ankle. I am glad this article helped. If you go online and Google exercises for limited mobility, you will find a lot of ideas.
    I wish you luck and take care of that ankle.