Measurement Help

Options
Can someone please tell me exactly where to measure my bust, waist and hips? Is it across my breast? Where my bra band is? Waist really confuses me. Thanks much!

Replies

• ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I know where I do it but dont know if its right. I measure the bust not underneath. I measure my waist more or less across the belly button and my hips where the bones (just about) stick out.

HTH :)
  • Becs25
    Becs25 Posts: 79
    Options
    Sometimes there isn't a correct way but just making sure you do it the same each time you measure to be able to compare the results.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I measure both across my bust (the tape should go across the nipples while wearing your best-fitting bra) and around my back (bra band). It helps to have those measurements anyway when you go to buy new bras as a result of losing the inches. :smile:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I measure overbust (at nipple level) and underbust (bra band level). Waist is the smallest circumference around your abdomen, usually at or near the belly button for females. I also measure "belly" that evil pooch below my waist, and hips (largest circumference around your butt and hip bones).
  • Aneago
    Aneago Posts: 1
    Options
    If this helps I am in the military and I do he standard measurements that they use to track are bmi
    Neck
    Bust- where the band of your bra line is
    Waist- where your belly button is
    Hips- half way down your buttocks where your legs flare at its hard to explain but if you need help let me know
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    doesnt matter exactly where as long as its the same place every time
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    I just googled this for myself for the hips and waist cause I have a really tough time figuring out where to measure. My bell button use to be up higher where my waist is but since I was pregnant and gained weight and lost weight (plus on the other side of 45 gravity has set in) so I found great advice to bend to the side- where you bend is where you measure- that is your natural waist. The belly button measurement is low waist. Hip- turn to the side find where your bum is the biggest and measure at that point (it usually is right at the top of your pubic bone). The previous poster who said measure over the breasts and under them is right too about where to measure.
    I hope that is helpful.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to measure the same area each time. Do this by finding a spot, scar, freckle or something on your skin that you'll be able to next time. You'll always be able to find your belly button. :-)
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    According to Jillian Michaels, in her book, " Making the Cut" this is how she describes how to measure:

Bust- Measure around the chest right at the nipple line, make sure you don't pull the tape too tight.

Chest- Measure just under your bust.

Waist- Measure a half inch above your belly button, or the smallest part of your waist.

Hips- Stand with feet together, and place tape around biggest part of your hips.

Thighs- Measure the biggest part of your thighs.

Arms- Measure the biggest part of your upper arm

Hope that helps!