what does 4, 6 and 8 oz of steak look like?

Options
2»

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Even though I use a food scale at home, it is helpful to know a size estimation for times when I am eating out, or at someone else's home.

So thanks for all the replies!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    get a food scale.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    dmprice17 wrote: »
    can't take a scale to resturant

Most restaurants tell you what size steak your ordering on the menu :wink:

Also I've been known to bring a food scale and measure out calorie dense items... maybe its weird but whatever...
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I usually don't bother with a food scale for meat that I cook. I just take the weight on the package and then divide by the number of portions I cut it into. Sure I may not cut it perfectly even but how accurate is a home food scale anyway?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    dmprice17 wrote: »
    can't take a scale to resturant

They make pocket-sized portable scales, so yes, you can. You'd probably get some odd looks, though.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I usually don't bother with a food scale for meat that I cook. I just take the weight on the package and then divide by the number of portions I cut it into. Sure I may not cut it perfectly even but how accurate is a home food scale anyway?

More accurate than guessing.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    joyhobson1 wrote: »
    Great YouTube presentation by Jay Jorgensen - He says Fist - Says he's 6' plus and his fist is about 8oz - but if you are a tiny woman your fist will probably be about 4oz. Says the fist measure puts your chicken, fish or steak in the 6 to 8 oz range and give or take a little you are on track. Also says not to skimp on this protein. That you need this amount daily. Other info says that 20% of your calories actually are designated to make your brain function properly. Use your fist - and look him up if you have more q's. YouTube.

I think this is one of the oldest threads I've seen revived.
  • peter56765
    edited November 2014
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    peter56765 wrote: »

More accurate than guessing.

Maybe. Maybe not. The scales at the grocery store are periodically calibrated and inspected by the state for accuracy. Your home scale, not so much. There's some guess work in dividing a steak into halves or quarters or whatever, but probably not much more than an ounce either way. Over time, this kind of error cancels out (over this time, under the next time, etc.). OTOH, if your home scale has a bias towards high or low readings or has some kind of non-linearity (like heavier and heavier objects measuring progressively lighter and lighter than true), this kind of error does not cancel out with repeated use.
  • peter56765
    edited November 2014
    Options
    double post