Giving blood today

Options
Good morning everyone, I am scheduled to dontate blood this afternoon and would like to know what would be good to eat before hand so I don't get lightheaded and won't kill my calories for the day? I know orange juice is a good idea......I was planning on having a salad for lunch, but I am thinking maybe I should switch that up since that will be about an hour and a half before I dontate......any advice would be great, thank you!!!!

Replies

• caw0128
    caw0128 Posts: 2
    Options
    Lots of water is the most important. Also I did some research earlier this week when I gave blood and discovered that 1 pt. was the equivalent of 650 calories burned according to the Mayo clinic website. I recorded it as cardio exercise :-)
  • francis1425
    francis1425 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is amazing, honestly I didn't even think of it having anything to do with burning calories....I just don't want to pass out:) Thank you!
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Lots of water is the most important. Also I did some research earlier this week when I gave blood and discovered that 1 pt. was the equivalent of 650 calories burned according to the Mayo clinic website. I recorded it as cardio exercise :-)

LOL.

i would have something with sugar in it. maybe some type of fruit or something similar to keep your blood sugar levels up. what a nice thing you are doing!
  • caw0128
    caw0128 Posts: 2
    Options
    Just make sure that you don't exercise after giving blood.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm goin on saturday. I think I;m getting a free coffee mug cause it will be a gallon that I have donated. They just always ask if I ate a good breakfast, but never really ask what specifically. As long as you have something, you should be good. Nice work....They say a pint of blood can save up to 3 lives!!
  • francis1425
    Options
    Thank you, I am really looking forward to it......so, how long after I donate should I not work out? I am scheduled to run 5 miles tonite, is that going to be a no-go?
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You just made me realize it has been quite sometime since my last donation. I am going to give blood today as well. Thank you for the inspiration! Breakfast water water water and maybe some carbs after you should be fine.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I donated a couple months ago and didn't really change anything about my diet. It was my first time donating and I didn't feel light-headed afterwards at all. Just make sure to drink plenty of fluids during the day! They also recommend iron-rich foods so your blood has a good iron count. I had a spinach salad for lunch before I went.
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes replacing the pint you lose causes the body to burn about 600 cal...but this is over the course of a week. Add 350 to cardio burned calories because that is what you will use over the day to replace blood sugar and increased heartrate due to lower blood volume.

Great job for giving blood!
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I am really looking forward to it......so, how long after I donate should I not work out? I am scheduled to run 5 miles tonite, is that going to be a no-go?
    I would NOT do any exercise on the same day that you donate. I think they recommend a day recovery before you do anything. You're not supposed to take the bandage off for at least 5 hrs I think, because the spot they poke you could start bleeding again. You're losing a pint of blood! Give your body some time to recooperate!
  • sm26davis
    sm26davis Posts: 52
    Options
    lots of water and eat real good. Like eggs, bacon for breakfast and a good meaty lunch. chicken breask ect. you don't want to just have a salad. you will get light headed! If your prone to getting light headed you can bring a pepsi, or coke and drink that while you donante. you do loose about 2 pounds giving blood, but thats just fluid wegiht not fat. I used to work at a blood bank doing the blood drive for years so I have a little experience in what to eat ect! Good luck!
  • francis1425
    Options
    Thank you all again for the information.....I really think it is a good thing we are all doing and it really can't get much easier to do, right?!