Keeping raw veggies fresh

Options
When I get home from the grocery store, I put the celery, radishes, salad onions, lettuce, tomatoes, etc., in the refrigerator.
After a couple of days, the celery is limp, the radishes are soft, the tomatoes are mushy.
I threw out a bunch of stuff last night, so now, I need to go back to the grocery store.
What is the best way to maintain freshness? I don't want to have to go shopping every couple of days, but I want a crisp salad.

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Put a paper towel in the bag that you put your veggies in... it will absorb the moisture and keep them crips longer,.. hope this helps!
  • cc8088
    cc8088 Posts: 41
    Options
    Here are a couple of suggestions. 1. Don't wash veggies before you put them in the fridge. Washing them and putting them in the fridge promotes the growth of bacteria. Only wash right before eating. 2. Put your leafy veggies in ziplock bags and store in the coldest part of your fridge.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    I've used those green bags they advertise to keep your veggies fresher, and they actually DO WORK. Then we upgraded our fridge and now my veggies stay fresh without the special bags. Check your fridge or get those baggies!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Ok, My mom taught me this trick, and I swear, it works like a champ!

When you get home from the market, take your celery out of the bag and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil. Each time you use a stalk, wrap it up tight again and put it back in the veggie drawer. It will keep for WEEKS!

Don't put your tomatoes in the fridge. Keep them in a basket on the counter. They will keep longer as well.

Green onions - clean them and then stand them in a glass with about an inch of water in the bottom....

Don't eat radishes, so can't help you there. ;)
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Aluminum foil...especially the celery. Trust me on this one. Wrap the celery in aluminum foil.
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have Tupperware's fridgesmart containers and I am amazed at how much longer my fresh fruits and veggies last in them
  • nikos
    nikos Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cut of the very end of the celery and stick it in a cup of water. It will re-crisp. I don't know if that works for radishes though. Otherwise, the thing about "fresh vegetables" is you need to buy them fresh and eat them. This often means going to the store twice a week. Just buy what you know you can eat in week. Some things keep better (like carrots), and fresher veggies keep longer.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've used those green bags they advertise to keep your veggies fresher, and they actually DO WORK. Then we upgraded our fridge and now my veggies stay fresh without the special bags. Check your fridge or get those baggies!
    And you can usually get them at the Dollar Store. I was very skeptical, but they work!!
  • Amarylis13
    Amarylis13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump :heart:
  • RoniDoll
    Options
    I'm sorry but i have to ask.. what does "bump" mean?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    it 'bumps' the thread back to the top of the list. ;)
  • RoniDoll
    Options
    it 'bumps' the thread back to the top of the list. ;)

Okay thanks! LOL
  • Ashtarot
    Ashtarot Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but i have to ask.. what does "bump" mean?

Bump means that you have nothing to add but want to mark the thread and bring it back to the top of the page.

beat me to it. :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    My tips: Don't put citrus or banana in the drawer with other fruits and vegies. "Green bags" do work as long as different items are in their own bags and you don't close them tight. The bags of baby carrots... rinse them and spread them out on paper towels and let them dry before putting in the fridge with a dry paper towel in the bag. If something does go bad in the drawer make sure you clean the drawer with bleach or vinegar to kill the bacteria. Lettuce, celery, cabbage and other salad greens... toss them in a sink of ice water for half an hour before use to crisp them up. Clean and trim radishes and put in a ziplock bag with a dry paper towel before putting in the fridge. Don't put cucumbers in the coldest part of the fridge, they get mushy quick. Except where noted above, don't wash or trim the vegies and fruit before putting in the fridge. DO make sure you wash all fruits and vegies before use that have a peel that you plan to eat! I use a "scrubby" sponge and soap on mine and rinse well.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    We wash ours, then put them in the re-usable green veggie bags. They work awesomely!
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump...never heard of the paper towel though. Do you put it in the bag or do you put the veggies in a plastic container first
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Some great tips also in this link: http://askville.amazon.com/STORE-FRUITS-VEGETABLES/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2711938

Also make sure your refrigerator is running at an optimal temperature. Too cold causes the produce to freeze and thaw and turn to mush. Too warm and they spoil too soon.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Debbie Meyer Green Bags!!! I was seriously defiantly skeptical of these things, but I had to put my tail between my legs and admit to my wife that I'm an idiot. :laugh:

They really do work. Almost everything we've put in them stays fresh for over a week. Some things I've gone back 2 weeks later and they're still firm and fresh.