• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I love all the ideas here, thanks! :flowerforyou:

Mint, I din't even think of mint! :love:
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hey Toots! I am planting my 2nd veggie garden this year in the D/FW. Last year I had great success with zuccini, bell peppers and cukes. I got some production last year from tomatoes and watermelon, but I think I planted too late for big crops (May?) Totally look up the square foot garden stuff, the sooner the better. We often can have 2 growing seasons here but in the hottest time of the year production slows down because the heat can steralize the pollen or something like that, from what I have read anyway. I would love to hear updates and we can compare notes...just message me. If you have any questions let me know.

Amanda
  • toots99
    Options
    Hey Toots! I am planting my 2nd veggie garden this year in the D/FW. Last year I had great success with zuccini, bell peppers and cukes. I got some production last year from tomatoes and watermelon, but I think I planted too late for big crops (May?) Totally look up the square foot garden stuff, the sooner the better. We often can have 2 growing seasons here but in the hottest time of the year production slows down because the heat can steralize the pollen or something like that, from what I have read anyway. I would love to hear updates and we can compare notes...just message me. If you have any questions let me know.

Amanda

Awesome, thanks!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    We are going to try and garden this year. I've done a little container gardening in the past with a tomato plant or two but never a full blown garden. We live on a farm so have plenty of room but it will be lots of work and we're learning as we go. I've already got some spinach and kale doing very well in containers and now have some swiss chard and green onions coming up in other pots.

We are also looking into getting chickens for eggs.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bump- Looking to start a container garden this year!
  • FarmerLynn7
    FarmerLynn7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am a new urban homesteader and loving it. I'm on a tiny 1/10th acre city lot and grew nearly all my own produce my first year trying it. This year I'm expanding to the front yard and digging up what grass remains in the back yard. I still have some time before all my perennials and fruits are established and I learn enough to grow more intensively. I'm trying to make as much as I can myself and on my little lot, so I've added rabbits for fertilizer (they are angoras so I got a spinning wheel to learn to spin too). I'm very excited about the whole thing and even just finished the master gardener training so I'm going into it a little wiser this year.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here grow their own veggies and herbs? I am wanting to try this, but don't know much about how to go about it. I live in a small apartment in Texas, but have a balcony that gets lots of late day sunlight. And I wouldn't be able to plant anything in the ground, it'd have to be grown in pots. Is this doable? Any tips on what wold grow best, what to do, what not to do, would be very appreciated. :flowerforyou:

I grow vegetables on my balcony, and some berries. For me, sites like these were a great inspiration.

http://permaculture.org.au/2006/03/13/living-on-the-edge-the-balcony-garden-designers-guild/

Also, I'd say grow your balcony slowly. Start with a few things you feel comfortable with, like herbs and perhaps some salad varieties. It took us 3 years to really start growing tomatoes well, going from 1 plant to a whole container of them. And this year we've planted some berries. Also: many things that people discard make fantastic plant containers. Like old olive oil cans like restaurants use, old buckets, lots of things you can find for free. This year we're installing one raised bed so we can have some more salad, and our beets and blette are coming along nicely. And nothing compares with eating a salad you harvested from your own balcony.
  • toots99
    Options
    I almost forgot about this topic, thanks!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome tips and ideas folks! :drinker: This is my first year doing a Community Garden so I'm quite excited to have all sorts of fresh product, get to play in the dirt and know the source of the veggies.

Good luck to all you Gardeners this year!:wink:
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump