Just because you CAN have a 2 pound per week goal

banks1850
banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Doesn't mean you should.

I see it a lot. People with 10, 20, 30, even 40 lbs to lose with a 2 lb per week goal. And I know nobody wants to hear it, but it's important to know.

Please read this post guys, if you are setting a 2 lb per week goal and not in the obese category or higher, you could be sabotaging your own weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

The most important thing, BY FAR, that I or anyone else on here has ever said is that EVERY person is different, and the goals on here are just very, very rough guidelines. You need to tweak, adjust, and monitor your own status in order for this site to work.

best wishes all,

Banks

Replies

• banks1850
    Doesn't mean you should.

I see it a lot. People with 10, 20, 30, even 40 lbs to lose with a 2 lb per week goal. And I know nobody wants to hear it, but it's important to know.

Please read this post guys, if you are setting a 2 lb per week goal and not in the obese category or higher, you could be sabotaging your own weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

The most important thing, BY FAR, that I or anyone else on here has ever said is that EVERY person is different, and the goals on here are just very, very rough guidelines. You need to tweak, adjust, and monitor your own status in order for this site to work.

best wishes all,

Banks
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    What would we do without you Banks?????? :love:
  • banks1850
    What would we do without you Banks?????? :love:

hehe, a lot more research I'm guessing. :laugh:

I'm such a dork!:ohwell:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I wish there was some sort of disclaimer that would pop up when people below a certain weight tried to set for 2 lbs. or something similar to advise or warn them. This one site I joined a while back (but left when I found MFP) had a warning pop-up for if you tried to set goals too unrealistic or if you entered you had health issues.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    hey thanks for that info i honestly didnt know i changed my goal and got 90 more cals.:wink:
    im still in the over weight range but only by 3.5 lbs. so i figured i wold change it.

your the man!!!! lol
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I changed mine too, it was set at 1.5 pounds, I'm still 25lbs overweight but I think 1 pound a week will come off more smoothly. thanks:drinker:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Thanks banks!!!! You are the best!!
  • banks1850
    Oh, the best is a stretch, but I do try. :happy:

Thanks ladies.
  • banks1850
    Bump
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Um, ok, I was gone for a while and now I've been back a few days. What is this "bump" thing???? :indifferent: I am sooo lost, I have seen it a few times now! :huh:
  • banks1850
    Um, ok, I was gone for a while and now I've been back a few days. What is this "bump" thing???? :indifferent: I am sooo lost, I have seen it a few times now! :huh:

hehe, here ya go

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/7167-for-those-puzzled-by-the-bump
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Way to go Banks, VERY IMPORTANT info!!!!!!

:drinker:
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Ah! I get it (I CAN be taught!) :laugh: Thanks!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Bump
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    bumpity bump bump:yawn:
  • I have 100 to lose, and i am set at 2 lbs a week, BUT I completely agree with you, and once I am down to losing 50 lbs, I will probably change it. Right now because I have so much to lose, the pounds are coming off pretty quickly anyways.
  • Fitness_Chick
    :drinker:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,321 Member
    bump
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    OMG! I soooo hoped he was back when I saw this thread. :drinker: then I opened it, and realized that it musta got bumped :sad: But good to keep in our attention, thanx. :happy:
  • Fitness_Chick
    bumpin again:drinker:
This discussion has been closed.