my daughter and my why

Options
I do want to be healthy, but it's a little hard to use that for motivation when I've been fortunate enough to run great 'numbers' (aside from the scale) all these years.

but I have little kids now, and I don't want to be an embarrassment to them.

my daughter was home from school the other day (K), so I took her to Curves with me. I did Zumba while she alternately watched a Dora video and watched the class. On our way home, she said to me, 'you know, Mom, you were the fattest person in the class!" Well, yeah - I'm the fattest person a lot of places I go!

But not forever!

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Yup out of the mouth of babes. My 10 year old daughter asks me "why does your butt jiggle so much when you walk?" and "Are my boobs gonna be floppy like that?"

Good for you in showing her a good example of going to the gym. It will make a difference as she watches you take care of yourself for yourself and for her. It will teach her how to be a confident woman as well. Keep up the great work!
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I dont have any kids (maybe this time next year) but I can't imagine how you felt when you heard that. Maybe it's because I'm a bit more sensitive than other folks - but know that you are working hard and doing what you have to do so that you are no longer that person.

Kuddos to you!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track. When your kids say things like that (as mine have to me), it hits you to your core. I wish you all the luck on your journey!
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    way to go turning that into motivation!!
  • _LA_
    _LA_ Posts: 111
    Options
    haha! Yeah, she's good for the body image, too.

She's seen me in various modes of undress before, but not since she was a baby had she seen me without my BRA on...until one day when she walked into the bathroom while I was dressing, to ask me a question. She stopped short, laughed, pointed, and asked, "Mama...how did your boobies get all the way down THERE?"

My favorite story to tell my girlfriends!! :)
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I literally LOL when I read that boob story. My 7 year old patted my tummy one day and said "Mommy your tummy is soft". I told her it was having her and her twin brothers :) But it won't be this "soft" forever!!
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling oh too well!
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    omg I would just die... my daughter is not quite 2 and a half so luckily I don't get any of those delightful barbs yet!! And my goal is that I never will... I've always said that by the time she can see differences between Mommy and other Mommies that my fat gut wont be the main difference!! I don't mind if it's a number of other things just not THAT! The only thing my daughter has done so far is look at me and say BOOBIES!!! and squeeze them then look at my husband and say DADDY BOOBIES!!! and poke at them!!! LMAO I died laughing but hubby did NOT find it amusing...

Although I did LOL at your bra story!!
  • lisastevens27
    Options
    Haha I lol at most of the replies. My worst was when my sons all 3 of them at different times ask me why my underarm flops back and for or wobbles when I wave. So humiliating and so hard to get rid of.

Lisa
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    yeah, they can be harsh, but i don't mind hearing it from my kids, other people, on the other hand, i would want to slap them if they said the same thing.

my partner got a lovely comment from our 4 year old a couple of weeks ago, he's lost about 20kg since november, and she said "where has all your fat tummy gone dad" so that was the best motivation for him in the world, and the best compliment, because you know it's just honest.

She told me the other day that i don't need to keep going to the gym yet, because i guess i'm smaller than she's ever seen me in her lifetime, but I still have a way to go...
  • Linda4859
    Linda4859 Posts: 78
    Options
    Lisa swimming is great for the bat wings.xx
  • lisastevens27
    Options
    Lmao...thanks Linda...need to lose a few more lbs (maybe more than a few lol) before my bathers come out of the closet.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Leave it to our kids to provide us with a motivator.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Lisa, a friend of mine had her daughter start calling those her "bye byes" because they wave bye bye when she does!