I just broke out of a 5 week plateau! Here's how!

Options
2»

Replies

• mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. I am at that last 10 pounds as well and find it so difficult. I keep thinking, maybe I should decrease my calories but I don't want to. I already feel "deprived" as it is. So would you eat all your calories you "earned" from exercise?

@mrseash: I have been eating _most_ of my exercise calories, so my "net calories" are about 1200, or slightly lower. Before I started doing that, my net calories were about 600/day on most days, as I didn't "eat back" the exercise.

Net calories = consumed calories from food - exercise calories

If you search these forums for "eating exercise calories" or "net calories" you'll see lots of discussion about this topic. I had only heard of this recently, from this site - and apparently it's controversial.
  • afeveryear
    afeveryear Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! Congrats and I hope you hit your 1.5lbs to your goal very soon! I hope you have something wonderful planned for when you do hit your goal!!! What an accomplishment!!!!
  • JenabeeRose
    JenabeeRose Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey

Thanks for this - I could have done with reading this sooner!
    Up until about a week ago - i was at a plateau for around 6 long weeks..
    I'm not entirely sure what got the scale moving again for me, prob like you, a combination of factors.

I think all of us at that plateau stage sounds be proud that we are working through it, week in week out even though the scale isn't moving,nknowing we are getting healthier and - eventually, the scale will move again!!

Good work everyone - that's what I say!
    x

ps - like other finding this, I have less than 10 lbs to go....
  • Cookie22684
    Cookie22684 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • wigal23
    wigal23 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I've done a bit of reading up on the subject of "eating back calories" and the water issue. First the eating back calories - most "experts" say that the body needs 1200 calories for basic function. That's "net" calories - if you are burning those off, then your body will begin to "hold on" to whatever it can, because it thinks it is starving. I have read quite a bit to support that you should keep your net calories at a minimum of 1200 (so if you are only consuming 1200, but burning 500, your body isn't getting enough and will plateau). And as you've read on this thread, not everyone will agree. What works for one doesn't always work for another.

Regarding the water - it really does help!!! A friend and I were discussing this just today. Again, i've read that you should consume half your body weight (in ounces) of water each day to aid in weight loss. So if you weigh 200 pounds, drink 100 ozs of water per day. Sounds like a lot, but it really gets results!! Just expect frequent trips to the restroom until you adjust. :) And the mix in packets are a life saver too!

Good luck and congrats on those breaking those plateaus!
    Becky
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    congrats for you!