setting and achieving "mini goals" does really help!

SK24373
SK24373 Posts: 36 Member
edited September 25 in Motivation and Support
OK so I hate to admit it, but all of the little tidbits about creating different "mini goals" has really helped me. I set a goal to be able to finish a 2 mile run without stopping and was able to achieve it last night. I really feel like I will be ready to double that goal soon. I am trying to focus less on self loathing and wanting long, thin legs (since they haven't created a surgery to elongate your legs out - YET - lol) and focus more on how strong I have become. However, truth be told. if they ever figure out a way that a short, thick gal like me can have long, skinny legs....I AM IN!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Absolutely yes! It's great to have a long term goal that may take many months or even years. But in the meantime, having goals that can be reached in 1 to 2 months time is a great way to stay focused and on track. And breaking the big goal up into management intermediate goals make it seem more achievable. I would go as far as to say that it's critical that everybody knows what their next short term goal is.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    Yes setting mini goals has really helped me. When I started looking at losing 100+ lbs was really overwhelming. I broke it up into 10 lb mini goals. For every 10 lbs I lose I buy myself I new pair of earrings. Nothing expensive just earrings from claires or Kohls. But it has really helped me to stay on track and not give up.
  • sargent1976
    sargent1976 Posts: 33 Member
    Little mini goals are definitely keeping me going. Any time i feel like giving up i just give myself another little goal to work towards (one that's achievable in 1-2 weeks). Helps keep me focused.
  • tak123
    tak123 Posts: 32 Member
    I've made mini goals for myself too. And I they've helped me a lot more than I thought they would. For every ten pounds I lose, I get to buy something that I've been wanting for a long time but didn't think I should splurge on. Exercise goals are probably a good idea too. :)
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    I agree, mini goals keep you motivated when you would otherwise get annoyed with it all and give up. I gave myself a goal of 5kg this year (and again for the next 2 years) and I blew it out of the water losing 5kg within 2 months, i'm almost at my next goal within one more month. So i've done what i set out to achieve in 2 years, in 3 months. and now am totally motivated to get the next 5kg gone within the next 3 months. It feels good to succeed, and it feels horrible to fail, so mini goals help you to succeed and feel like you really are going somewhere with all the work.
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Totally ! It's like knowing what's at the end of the tunnel . I just don't keep weekly weight loss goals because if i concentrate on the numbers on the scale it doesn't work for me..i8 keep small work out related goals and it really helps
  • SK24373
    SK24373 Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks to all for taking the time to read and respond. It helps to know that others understand the little things you do to stay motivated :) I've sent a friend request to each of you. Best of luck on your fitness journeys.
This discussion has been closed.