Living Outside the Box

Options
If you're one of MFP friends or on Facebook, you've probably read that I’ve been baking up a storm. I’m not a baker by nature, so this is a new experience and I’ve been enjoying it. The more I’m working, the more I’m realizing the value of true, old-fashioned, hand made food.

It’s a little tragedy that in today’s busy schedules, we’ve lost the art of baking. It’s connected me in a way that I never expected to my roots, my family, and those people that I’m feeding. I mentioned my new pursuits to a close friend, and I was dismayed when in response to my proclamation of making bread, she asked, “Oh, so what mix did you use?” When I explained I was making the recipes from scratch, she continued on to ask, “You mean, like, without a box?”

A month ago, I would have completely understood where she was coming from. I didn’t realize how much I depended on a mix. When I “baked” homemade cookies, really all I was doing was assemble the ingredients and add to a bowl of stuff I couldn’t possibly begin to identify. The results were always delicious, but…. REALLY? I didn’t have a clue about life without the box.

I’m also a control freak, so I’ve REALLY enjoyed understanding what goes into the baked goods. I’m just learning how to customize and make some healthier swaps, but it’s exciting to know that most breads don’t contain eggs (who knew?), that cornbread is cornmeal AND flour, and that cookies need certain ingredients to not collapse or turn grainy.

I’ve had pounds of failed experiments, but oh the fun. As I’ve mentioned before, it’s connected me to my roots. I’ve thought more about my Mom in the last 2 weeks than I have in a long time. That’s bittersweet (much like the chocolate I’ve been playing with!) but valuable.

It’s also hard work. Ever tried kneading a tough bread dough for 12 minutes? It’s a workout! I had to try it just once, but now I’m loving life and kneading like a pro with the stand mixer.

Anyway, that’s a long-winded, nostalgic explanation of why baking is feeding my soul. Unfortunately, it’s also feeding my waistline… but these are a few extra calories I’m going to embrace, enjoy, and I’ll worry about tomorrow. I am trying to be aware of portion size, but I feel like I need to explore this baking a little bit more before getting fully back on track. It's actually kind of interesting - the more I'm baking, the less I'm finding I'm eating of it. Funny the way that is.

Happy Eatings and thanks for reading.
D.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    From scratch certainly gives you more freedom to put in what you want or leave out what you don't... packaged pancakes were big previously, but now just looking at the ingredients list makes me put it back down, I'm far happier with my flour, eggs, powder and oil.. since I omit the salt and the sugar... tasty, and I can change it up by using different flour.

From scratch... that's the me I'm trying to make again now, eating mostly good foods (yeah I had pizza last night and a chocolate bar on Sunday) and really watching the junk, its nice to see the scale changing as a result of these changes.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I do this for a living, and it definitely looks like work after a while and not like something I need to eat, ha ha. But I get what you're saying about it feeding your soul; creating something amazing from scratch is a really good feeling. And it makes people happy. But sometimes there's this little voice inside my head that tells me I'm going to hell for making peopl fat with my baking. Ha ha. x
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I bought Reinhart's "the bread maker's apprentice" and I've never looked back. I bake for my family, the day to day bread, but, fortnunately, of an increasing quality. Way better than what we could get from a store, way cheaper than "artisanal bread". I eat very little of it myself, but usually, the first small slice of a warm bread is for me. Nothing else is necessary really, that and seeing my family enjoy my bread. After a year of using my kitchen oven, I'm now going to buy a Rofco bread oven. I'm ready for it.

Good luck on your baking!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    it's an interesting kettle of fish isn't it.

We now make our tomato sauce from scratch (from actual boxes of tomatoes, cooked, and minced etc) we grow our own basil and herbs, we have a vegie garden, we make our own pizza dough, and nothing (i mean nothing) tastes as good as fresh pasta or pizza made from scratch (dough and sauce included). I would never have bothered, i'm far too lazy, but my partner is into it, and it really is so satisfying to see things come out of the garden, and into dinner.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I always say that I am great cook, by my soul is a baker. It is a soothing art and the finished results are so satisfying for me. But I have been avoiding it because I love eating what I bake, as much as I love baking in the first place. In fact, right now, I think my soul is crying for some baking. Some kitchen chemistry. The unmistakable smell of butter or yeast enzymes browning. I have not baked from a mix in years, now. I love the measuring. The stirring. The kneading. The something that comes from nothing.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I can so relate, since cooking, and especially baking, was a hobby of mine. Note I said "was." Sadly, I liked to eat all of my creations. I hope to get to the point where I can bake and enjoy a reasonable portion, but for me it's easier to abstain than to moderate, at least at this point in my weight-loss journey. In the meantime, I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and bread machine who are very lonely! :frown:

I do still cook - in fact, I probably cook more now than i did before. But I am usually grilling or roasting meat and sauteeing veggies - I don't do many recipes anymore.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    so interesting- thanks for sharing!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I grew up cooking everything from scratch, and grew vegies in the garden. With 6 kids in the house and one income we all learned to pinch a penny that way. I got away from it once I moved out and on my own. I have gotten back into it the last few years (the cooking part). The only draw back is that now my guy is soooo spoiled! He won't eat so many packaged things that he used to. I don't know what he is going to do when I go back to work and stop making his lunch and dinner to take to work!