What exercises can I do to burn calories while sitting at a

Options
2»

Replies

• carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Both of my jobs are desk jobs, so it's hard to fit in exercise after work when i work 60 to 70 hours a week (the last thing I want to do when I get home is workout haha). At one of my jobs, I take phone calls so in between phone calls I walk laps around the office. I change direction every 15 minutes so I don't get dizzy, and I try to total an hour a day walking briskly.
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    do you have a closed office or a cubicle type thing? You could try arm exercises with small handweights

I have a closed office. I'm the only one in here but get lost of traffic in and out.
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Lots of great ideas!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I walk briskly around our two building complex once or twice a day. It's a half mile, takes about 12 minutes and still leaves me enough time to use the rest room on a 15 minute break. Not sure if I'll still be able to manage it when it starts hitting 100°+ in a few months, but for now, it works. :)
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Shake a leg - or both :)
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Maybe try ditching the inter-office phone and instead go to peoples offices to talk to them. That would give you a little extra walking, but yea, still scraping the barrel somewhat.

I like the idea some people have said of doing a little mini squat on the chair as you sit down.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    I run up and down the stairs a couple of times per day...you can do sneaky stomach crunches while you are sitting at your desk, just tighten up your abs and crunch a bit...all depends on if your office has a door. I can't do much since there is a guy sitting about 5 feet behind my chair.
    I do this several times a day also. I work on the third floor and there is no elevator. I go up and down those stairs quite often which is why you always see stairs in my workout on my work days.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    several pilaties moves can be done sitting~get a DVD and practice at home first.
    also Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds DVDs can be done at work~140 step/min = 4 miles/hour, 150 steps/min=5 miles/hr
    4 basic moves done standing at your desk listening to your ipod or music at work~I do it frequently...
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    how about muscle tensing and releasing of you legs and butt..I do this when I drive..also I am not a nervous person but when people are not around I bounce my legs up and down (any little bit helps right?) Also just get up and down from your chair fequently just use your leg muscles to get up..just some weird little things I do
  • bigmama9192
    Options
    I work from home but am chained to my desk for 12 hours. I keep a resistance band and some hand weights at my desk. The 20-minute resistance band workout everyone had mentioned is pretty good. Lots of butt-crunches. I walk on my lunch break. When I take my breaks I run up and down the stairs instead of just walking. You just gotta be creative :-)