OVERWEIGHT doing the P90X

Options
2»

Replies

• bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    Your diet, particularly not enought protein could definately make you unable to recover. But I am serious about no over doing it. Your heart has to be extremely healthy to do this workout and when you are overweight it has a lot to do other than just the exercise support. Try 20 minutes of the videos, but do it every day. If you try to do too much, you will miss days and that is not what you want. Start slow.
    Make a goal to start P90X in full in 90 days, after you ahve been through the program at half length.
  • Codygirlslim
    Options
    I am 5"9 and started P90X at 234 lbs. You need to do several things here (and honestly I did not read through everyone's posts so this might be repetitive). Follow the food plan. You need to wake up and EAT some protein FIRST, then drink at LEAST 20 oz's of water PRIOR to the workout. I STRONGLY suggest purchasing their renewal energy drink as it helps with the sore muscles and fatigue. THEN eat a snack with that...more protein or I like to have either my Slim Fast shake and a Fiber One bar at that time. KEEP MOVING. The moment you sit down...you are in trouble. You will be VERY SORE for the first few days, and it gradually gets better over two weeks. Then you are doing fine again. Drink LOTS of water all day everyday. That you own a cleaning business...I would love that...just because I will actually do the workouts and then clean my house so that I keep going and EASE my muscles back to norm (if you can call it that! lol). Remember, this is P90 XXXX, so you are doing the Xtreme. You will get extreme results, but if it is too much for you might I suggest beginning with their Slim In 6 program or the regular P90 to start with and THEN go back to P90X? Although, SI6 works differen muscle groups from P90X, and it about did me in, but the workouts are ONLY 24 minutes long as opposed to the whole hour. If you are determined to do P90X (as I am) as your program of choice, then try half-workouts for the first week, and then increase the second week and so on. THEN began your actual "90 days" in two weeks, after you have gotten familiar with the workouts and have increased your time with them. DO NOT DO THE YOGA yet!! Replace the YOGA with the STRETCH DVD for the first 2-4 weeks, the YOGA is BRUTAL!! I love Pilates and thought it would be no problem...about DIED! lol And do alot of stretching before and after the workout in addition to what they have you do...then stretch again before bed, and when you wake up. All of these things combined should give you a successful workout. Good luck!! :)
  • dexter4564
    dexter4564 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm about 195 lbs 5"9 and I'm waiting until around 170 lbs before I do P90X to finish my transformation. You should build your fitness lightly with an exercise bike or a treadmill first.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I only read the OP. You don;t need to kill yourself with the latest fad workout video. Get your eating in check. Form a proper nutrition plan with proper amounts of each macro nutrient. This is the most important thing. Along with that, start out with some moderate low impact cardio. Like walking at 2mph. The next week work up to 2.5mph. Keep upping it slowly. You don;t need to do workouts that make you want to vomit, but you don;t need to be too easy on yourself either. Continuing to make some sort of progress is important, at least until you get up to say 4mph or so.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I did 9 weeks of P90X when I was ~360 lbs. Only reason I stopped was because of the flu and then holidays. Never started up again. During the 9 weeks I probably maintained about 3k calories per day although I don't know since I was not using this site yet. I lost about 30 lbs during the process and always had lots of energy.