Net 1200 Question

Options
Hey,
I was reading all the posts on whether or not we should eat the calories we burn from exercise, resulting in a net of 1200 calories. (Or more/less... depending on your own goals..)

The posts all say that our bodies will go into starvation mode if we don't eat them, however MFP doesn't say this if I complete my day with those extra 200+ calories leftover. MFP only mentions starvation mode if I eat below 1100ish.

Suggestions?

Replies

• cfitz10
    cfitz10 Posts: 4
    Options
    I would love to hear any replys to this topic myself. Its so confusing.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    For best results, eat them. http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, some eat all their exercise calories, some eat part, some not at all. You have to find what works for you.

For me personally I have to eat some of them or my scale won't move. I typically do not eat all of them but if I go for a number of days NOT eating them I know for sure I will not post a loss at all that week.
  • StellaBrowne
    StellaBrowne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat at least some of them. I complained to my personal trainer this morning that my weight loss has plateaued and the first thing she asked was if I had been eating enough to counteract my exercise.
  • brandi16
    brandi16 Posts: 56
    Options
    My trainer tells me that, while I am trying to lose weight, you do not eat your exercise calories. If you are trying to maintain, eat them. Not sure how true this is, but it has worked for me all year long.
  • 2melly
    2melly Posts: 1
    Options
    I tend to eat some of my exercise calories back. Usually, I am way more hungry on these days. Sometimes, I will treat myself on these days. I will eat something that has more calories knowing that I have a few extra from exercising. Good luck with your weightloss.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Personally I have to eat all my exercise cals and the scales drop... I say try it for a week eating all and if the results are there.. than eat up!
  • Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me that, while I am trying to lose weight, you do not eat your exercise calories. If you are trying to maintain, eat them. Not sure how true this is, but it has worked for me all year long.

I thought this was the case as well. However, according to MFP that is not the case. I am going to give this new way of eating and weight loss a try and see if it makes a difference for me. I look at it this way my body is already taking a deficit in calories when I lower them from my maintenance calories so when I workout I burn more calories which in turn creates more deficit---so by eating my exercise calories I am actually keeping my calorie intake at the level designed for my weight loss goals which in this case at this time is 1200 calories. I hope this made sense for you as it does me. :-) Best wishes in reaching your goals!
  • alitarose
    alitarose Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sorry....
  • alitarose
    Options
    Sorry again, trying to put this quote in...I'm learning!
  • alitarose
    Options
    I thought this was the case as well. However, according to MFP that is not the case. I am going to give this new way of eating and weight loss a try and see if it makes a difference for me. I look at it this way my body is already taking a deficit in calories when I lower them from my maintenance calories so when I workout I burn more calories which in turn creates more deficit---so by eating my exercise calories I am actually keeping my calorie intake at the level designed for my weight loss goals which in this case at this time is 1200 calories. I hope this made sense for you as it does me. :-) Best wishes in reaching your goals!

This is one of the best and easiest explaination of this that I've seen! Thanks!
    [/quote]
  • Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The only reason I get it is because of the wonderful folks on this site that took time to help me understand it, especially Taso42!
    Shout out to Taso42! ;)