Breakfast for an Egg Hater?

Options
Levedi
Levedi Posts: 290 Member
I hate eggs. They make me gag. I'll even pick out the egg bits from fried rice. I've eaten and enjoyed blood sausage, haggis, and eel, but I just can't choke down an egg. It's the combo of texture and sulfur smell - I just can't get past it. (And don't tell me I just need someone to cook them right for me. I've tried, I really have. It hasn't worked.)

So, what can I eat for breakfast other than Special K bars? I've never been a big breakfast person but now I'm trying to get some healthy protein into my diet in the morning. What are your favorites? (Bonus points for easy and portable breakfasts!)

Replies

• Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Non Fat Greek Yogurt + Frozen Blueberries +FIber One Original Cereal+ Cinnamon + 1 Tsp Peanut Butter (or PB2) = Delicious breakfast, Under 300 calories, more protein than eggs!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Any combination of protein, healthy fat and some healthy carbs should be a great breakfast - Don't be afraid to think outside of the box! Sometimes I eat non-breakfasty foods for breakfast (chicken breast sandwich, sliced turkey on toast, etc.). There's also oatmeal - you can mix in protein powder, peanut butter, etc. to give it some protein. I like a banana cut in half with peanut butter spread on the flat side of both halves. Just a few ideas. I'm sure others will have more.

Edited to add - I second the greek yogurt! Mmm.... one of my favorites. Also, cottage cheese - great plain or mixed with fruit. I also have a recipe for "protein pancakes" - easy to make, just gotta dig it out.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Here's the protein pancake link - I LOVE these, and sometimes make them times of the day other than breakfast.
    http://graemethomasonline.com/protein-pancakes-the-worlds-best-breakfast/
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Here's the protein pancake link - I LOVE these, and sometimes make them times of the day other than breakfast.

Those sound AWESOME, and I have all that except cottage cheese, I can't stomach it, it looks like baby puke...
    Ever tried milk or yogurt instead of the cottage cheese? Or applesauce? Or nothing?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

Those sound AWESOME, and I have all that except cottage cheese, I can't stomach it, it looks like baby puke...
    Ever tried milk or yogurt instead of the cottage cheese? Or applesauce? Or nothing?

I've tried it with greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese and it worked fine.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    salmon, low-fat cream cheese on toast....
    cream cheese on toast...
    tuna on toast....
  • jenkramer
    jenkramer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hate eggs too! How about turkey bacon (cook it the night before, zap it in the morning).

Also a big fan of the portable EAS protein shakes. Quick and easy - way more protein than eggs. They come in silver boxes. My total go to -
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    I totally used to be an egg hater. Turns out that I just didn't like them the way everyone else made them, but when I do it for myself, they're ok.

But yeah, being an egg hater, I spent a lot of breakfasts not eating them. I think a great option, especially if you're on the go, is a deli style sandwich. I know some people can't stomach it in the morning, but to me, I love a turkey sandwich on my way to class. :-)
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I enjoy porridge for breakfast most days, with a little fruit. All bran or wheat bix and fruit is nice, too. Other traditional breakfast options include baked beans, roast tomatoes on toast, cheese on toast and fruit salad with yoghurt (though fruit salad may be too high in sugar to keep you going until lunch). You could branch out to other cuisines and try lentil curry for another protein-rich option. Or try a nice piece of grilled or steamed fish, or even tinned tuna.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with maple syrup and raisins
    kashi go lean honey almond flax cereal
    whole wheat english muffin with PB and jelly or PB and banana or melted reduced fat cheese
    golden corn vita tops with PB
    small whole wheat low cal wrap with PB, sliced banana, honey, maybe some flax seed or wheat germ sprinkled on top (warm that up for like 15 seconds, and it is so good)

as you can see, peanut butter is your protein friend.