Help needed with popcorn servings!

Options
Hi Everyone!

I have a question about counting the calories in a whole bag of popcorn. So...the box says that one serving = 2 TBSP unpopped and that 2 TBSP unpopped will yield approximately 4 cups of popped corn. Next the box says that each bag contains 2.5 servings in a bag. This means that there are 5 TBSP of unpopped kernels in the bag, which is 10 cups of popcorn in the bag.

Next the amount of calories per serving is 35/1 cup of popped and 180/2TBSP of unpopped. This seems to conflict with the fact that there are supposed to be 4 cups of popped corn for every 2 TBSP of popped.

Does anyone know how many calories are in 1 whole bag of microwave popcorn? My mom seems to think that there are only a little over 100 calories in a bag...but the math seems to show that there are 350 calories per bag.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I hope I haven't exhausted anyone with this post...I’m an accountant and trying to wrap my head around the numbers! :laugh:

Replies

• shan2bthin
    shan2bthin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been told to look at only the popped section since that's what you are eating. So, 4 c. x 35 calories= 140 calories. If it's 2 1/2 servings per bag, the 140 calories roughly breakdowns to 56 calories per serving. 140 calories for a whole bag of popcorn is an excellent filling snack. Enjoy!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    save yourself some mental greif and get yourself an airpopper~that way you only have to count the popcorn...unless you put something else on it (I like cheese)
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I was confused as all get-out about the calories in microwaveable popcorn bags.

So ... I kept feeling guilty about it and wasn't sure if I was counting enough calories when I logged it.

I finally gave up and bought my own Air Popcorn Maker. Now I don't have to worry about the oil and/or the butter. I know exactly how many calories I'm having and the extra advantage is that I can eat twice as much for less calories!
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    LOL Its just easier to get the 100 calorie bags of popcorn! Its Orville Redenbarcher (sp?) but its says it right on the box 100 calories!
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    hahaha I eat A LOT of popcorn. It's one of my favorite snacks. I usually eat light or 94% fat free. If your particular brand/box has 2.5 servings then there are 10 cups of popcorn in the bag. You'll eat the popcorn after it's actually popped so you would take 35 calories multiplied by 10 cups. At least, that's how I do it. I never use the amount that it says for the kernels because I'm not actually eating kernels (well except the half popped ones lol) Anyway, hope that helps! :smile:
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/wwPoints8.html

I don't know if this helps, but it's what I found.
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I'm not sure but I've wondered about this too... I think 350 may be correct. I buy the 100 calorie smartpop bags and they are about 1/2 the size of a 'normal' size bag of microwave popcorn. Plus, if there is any butter, etc. on it.... Anyway, I think 350 calories.
  • Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my popcorn as a snack!!! And I hear ya about all the confusion. It's so ridiculous that they even put nutritional information on there for UNPOPPED popcorn because really, who even eats the kernels unpopped anyway? So I don't even pay attention to that. If 2 tbsp of popcorn = 4 cups of popped corn = 1 serving, then 2.5 servings indeed is 10 cups of popped popcorn. So really, measure out 4 cups worth after you pop it, and there's your serving, and all of the nutritional info that goes along with it on the box. You have to pack up the remaining popcorn really well or it'll go stale though.

The general rule of thumb that I've learned is that 1 cup of popcorn = about 30 calories - but that mainly applies to homemade popcorn (which I do in my microwave with kernels and a brown lunch bag - I haven't bought store-made popcorn bags in a long time!). I use Walmart's Great Value brand kernels, and I use 1/4 cup of them, so when I make popcorn I enter Great Value Popcorn 1/4 cup kernels in the MFP database - and bypass all that stuff about popped vs. unpopped. Not sure if I'm cheating, but if I am it's in my favor, since supposedly unpopped popcorn has more calorie than popped. Hope I haven't confused you right back!

Good luck!
  • dadsgirl87
    Options
    Lol...I was thinking the same thing about the uselessness of the unpopped nutritional information.

Thanks for all of the information everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I have a question about counting the calories in a whole bag of popcorn. So...the box says that one serving = 2 TBSP unpopped and that 2 TBSP unpopped will yield approximately 4 cups of popped corn. Next the box says that each bag contains 2.5 servings in a bag. This means that there are 5 TBSP of unpopped kernels in the bag, which is 10 cups of popcorn in the bag.

Next the amount of calories per serving is 35/1 cup of popped and 180/2TBSP of unpopped. This seems to conflict with the fact that there are supposed to be 4 cups of popped corn for every 2 TBSP of popped.

Does anyone know how many calories are in 1 whole bag of microwave popcorn? My mom seems to think that there are only a little over 100 calories in a bag...but the math seems to show that there are 350 calories per bag.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I hope I haven't exhausted anyone with this post...I’m an accountant and trying to wrap my head around the numbers! :laugh:

Oh my gosh, I spent 20 mins in the store last night trying to figure it out. Lol I gave up and didn't buy it
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    just get a cup out and do it yourself. xD 1 cup = 35 cals
    well 1 bag is supposed to have 10 cups but when i fully popped mine and measured it, i got barely 4 1/2 cups. and like, 8 kernels.
  • nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So funny you posted! I was going to have some popcorn last night. The packaging threw me off and I decided on none!!!!
  • nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So funny you posted! I was going to have some popcorn last night. The packaging threw me off and I decided on none!!!!